Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My reading life is over


While watching The Voice last night, I flipped the channel at a commercial break and caught some of Sleepy Hollow on Fox. Ohhh my. That Ichabod Crane is a gorgeous man.


You get a better impact if you watch the real action. I mean it. The photo doesn't do justice to his eyes. Ok, I'll find a flaw: his nose is a little too thin. And I know exactly how/why this show came about. Producers/creators found that those two fairy tale TV shows were popular but all of those stories were pretty tapped out. SO they thought to themselves "Hmmm, fairy tales ... fables ... American Folklore! And we can include a bit of gothic AND paranormal while we're at it. Hat trick!" I'll have to find the pilot episode online to watch now. And probably get hooked on another show. Oh, and he's BRITISH so he's got a lovely accent too.

And THEN. After watching The Voice I stuck around for the premiere of Blacklist, which is a House-like vehicle for James Spader, who I love though I didn't watch that lawyer show he was on. Ever since the '80s, he does "bad guy" so well. THIS is his scenery chewing best. The show itself was actually rather good with twists and double twists. And the girl was able to hold her own in scenes with him which impressed me. I recommend it. Really.

TONIGHT. At the same time as The Voice, the premiere of Joss Whedon's Agents of SHIELD is on. What. A. Bother. And WHY are they trying to suck me back into watching more and more TV? It's a conspiracy.

I received a notification of another digital loan from the library. So I'm reading that now too. THE FIREBIRD by Susanna Kearsley.  Here's a description.
Nicola Marter works for a London gallery. She not only holds master’s degrees in Russian studies and art history; she also has the secret ability to hold an object and see past events. When a woman comes in with a small carved bird, Nicola has a vision of the Empress Catherine giving it to a young woman named Anna. With no documented provenance, the carving is worthless to collectors, and Nicola feels impelled to authenticate it. Impulsively, she heads to Scotland and enlists the assistance of Rob McMorran, to whom she was attracted when she met him in a psychic study. Even though Nicola can practice psychometry, she knows that Rob’s much stronger psychic powers will be invaluable. Together they embark on a journey that takes them to Ypres and Saint Petersburg and opens a window onto the early eighteenth century and the plight of Jacobites as they unravel Anna’s story. 
 Published in 2013, it has 545 pages.  This is a stand alone although there is at least one recurring character from a previous book, Rob, who was a boy in THE SHADOWY HORSES. And I've got about 4% left on the Dunnett book. And two other digital loans I need to get to that the clock is ticking on.

Time to give up sleep again. Or work. Yeah, that would be better.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: