Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A morning ritual shared....

You Squat, I Squat

All right all right, I'll admit it. (deep breath). I've never read THE GREAT GATSBY. Nor have I wanted to ... until now. I have this huge aversion to reading or viewing anything that has been over-hyped. Or if an author is over-hyped. But, I have an interesting digital loan called CARELESS PEOPLE: Murder, Mayhem, and the Invention of The Great Gatsby by Sarah Churchwell about the year 1922 and a famous murder in New Jersey that apparently inspired the book. And I wasn't familiar enough with the book to have this nonfiction one mean anything so.... I'm currently reading THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'd better strike while the iron is hot, or in this case, while my mood is in it.

I'm most certainly NOT interested in seeing the movie with Leo DiCaprio (blech blech blech) and Tobey Maguire (blech). The 1974 movie with Robert Redford is possible but I don't like Mia Farrow. If one could have Robert Redford and the chick from the new movie, Carey Mulligan, then maybe. But is not to be, cherie.
The main events of the novel take place in the summer of 1922. Nick Carraway, a Yale graduate and World War I veteran from the Midwest – who serves as the novel's narrator – takes a job in New York as a bond salesman. He rents a small house on Long Island, in the (fictional) village of West Egg, next door to the lavish mansion of Jay Gatsby, a mysterious millionaire who holds extravagant parties but does not participate in them. Nick drives around the bay to East Egg for dinner at the home of his cousin, Daisy Fay Buchanan, and her husband, Tom, a college acquaintance of Nick's. They introduce Nick to Jordan Baker, an attractive, cynical young golfer with whom Nick begins a romantic relationship. She reveals to Nick that Tom has a mistress, Myrtle Wilson, who lives in the "valley of ashes": an industrial dumping ground between West Egg and New York City The story primarily concerns the young and mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby and his quixotic passion for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan.

Published in 1925, it is (only) 193 pages -- though it seems so much longer.

It's Tuesday and you know what that means! Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.!


And my Agent Coulson, of course. The storyline has gotten really good with the finale coming up. Woot!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: