Friday, April 4, 2014

Not if you're a book addict

A Slow Progression to the Inevitable

Library books trump books that I own so I'm currently doing a re-read of THE CATER STREET HANGMAN by Anne Perry. This is the 1st of 29 in series featuring Thomas and Charlotte Pitt, a police inspector and wife in Victorian London. Here is a description:
Panic and fear strike the Ellison household when one of their own falls prey to the Cater Street murderer. While Mrs. Ellison and her three daughters are out, their maid becomes the third victim of a killer who strangles young women with cheese wire, leaving their swollen-faced bodies on the dark streets of this genteel neighborhood. Inspector Pitt, assigned to the case, must break through the walls of upper-class society to get at the truth. His in-depth investigation gradually peels away the proper veneer of the elite world, exposing secrets and desires until suspicion becomes more frightening than truth. Outspoken Charlotte Ellison, struggling to remain within the confining boundaries of Victorian manners, has no trouble expressing herself to the irritating policeman. As their relationship shifts from antagonistic sparring to a romantic connection, the socially inappropriate pair must solve the mystery before the hangman strikes again.
Published in 1979, it has 288 pages.  This is a digital loan from the library. I probably read this book in the 80s or 90s but I haven't kept up with the series though I've really enjoyed for the most part Perry's Monk series. Wanting to get back to this series, I realized I should probably start over.  And with this particular book, I only really remember some of the ending. It's a nice re-introduction and a quick read and really does pull you into the story. Comparing it to the Ngaio Marsh I'm also reading, one can see that the books are from different eras of mystery writing: Perry I think has more focus on relationships and Marsh is from the era of puzzle solving. 

Tomorrow, I will be meeting a friend for coffee at Barnes and Noble and then meeting Mom for lunch and a visit to the new library. Sunday, we might see a movie.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: