Sunday, May 10, 2009

I missed a day -- bad Bookeemonster!



Sorry for missing yesterday's post. I spent a chunk of the morning over at my M&D's, giving Mom her Mother's Day present(s): books. Not a surprise; she's a book addict, too, though perhaps not as devouring as I am being the Bookeemonster. She got the new Donna Leon, and a couple other mysteries, THE SEX CLUB by LJ Sellers (not really about sex) and MAMA DOES TIME by Deborah Sharp -- both are books that have been mentioned on 4MA that I know she was interested in.


Last year for some reason, I guess I developed allergies to stuff outdoors like you hear about allergy sufferers in allergy medicine commercials. Well, yesterday they kicked in on me so I took a Zyrtec when I got home. Did some cleaning, walked Tug, and then had to lay down for a bit because of the Zyrtec. I don't know why this has suddenly developed at age 42, but there it is.


I finished Lis Wiehl & April Henry's FACE OF BETRAYAL last night. Lis Wiehl is a former attorney and now commentator on the Fox News Channel (which we prefer because of balanced reporting) and therefore has some killer blurbers like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Nancy Grace, etc. This book is being called the first in the "The Triple Threat" series because the POV pretty much goes between three female friends who cover crime in the Portland area - one's in the FBI, one's a reporter, one's an attorney. I would dub this book as a light thriller. It had enough plot in it but the bones needed fleshing out to be a better book. I read it one day. Yes, I'm a fast reader, but it is a fast read: chapters can consist of one to four pages. The story is your basic Chandra Levy Senate page gone missing and senator may be involved speculation. I will read her next book -- coming out April 2010 -- but I hope the author has learned from her first book and it will have some more heft to it.


I don't know what I'm going to read next. I have the next in series for me by Michael Jecks or maybe it's time to jump into the second Steig Larsson.


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Sunnies Book Blog found at http://sunniesbookblog.blogspot.com/. Have I not posted Sunnie's blog before this? If I overlooked Sunnie's, then I'm a big doofus. Go; go now.


Tonight on tv is The Tudors and PBS's Mystery with the first showing in the US of Kenneth Branagh playing Henning Mankell's Wallander. I have been a Branagh fan since 20 years ago Henry V came out and I bought his autobiography. (sigh) He hasn't quite been the wunkerkind he was touted to be, but he's just been a good actor making a good living doing theatre, tv, movies, audiobooks, etc.


The rest of today: clothes laundry and proofreading the biz plan. Steve got the lawn mowed yesterday (yay!) and met the new behind us neighbors. I think we plan a relaxing day. You should too, tell them I said it was okay.


Love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: