Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mid Week Bits and Stuff

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is a fantastic article on the Christian Science Monitor website called "Why Journalists Deserve Low Pay" found at http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0519/p09s02-coop.html. Here's the first couple paragraphs:

Journalists like to think of their work in moral or even sacred terms. With each new layoff or paper closing, they tell themselves that no business model could adequately compensate the holy work of enriching democratic society, speaking truth to power, and comforting the afflicted.
Actually, journalists deserve low pay.
Wages are compensation for value creation. And journalists simply aren't creating much value these days.
It is a very well thought out opinion on the state of media today that I enjoyed very much.

Talking about the Teaser yesterday re-sparked my interest in the book and perhaps has gotten me past my reading slump. Yay! This book, MARTYR by Rory Clements is the first book in a new series set during the later years of Queen Elizabeth I -- the spies and intrigues, the pending decision to execute Mary Queen of Scots, the imminent Spanish invasion. Wonderful stuff. There is already a second book announced. I hope it catches on. It feels similar-ish to CJ Sansom's great books set during Henry VIII in terms of historical detail and the intrigues.

Nothing on TV tonight as my usual viewing had their season finales last week. I may watch the On Demand season finale of The Tudors tonight and then otherwise read.

Yesterday's walk was so hot (mid 80s) and humid. Today the temps only got into the 60s which was lovely. It will get back in the 70s tomorrow so this was a nice respite. I opened all the windows to let in the fresh, cool air.

Tomorrow my sister and her husband are coming for a visit so most of the next two days will be spent at my parents'. They only visit a couple times a year so we try to make the most of it. I think there will lots of good chatting and laughing.

I went to the post office today and along the way a truck in front me stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Looking slightly ahead of the truck were a mama duck and a bunch of wee little baby ducks walking across the road. I like that nature can stop the world for a few moments. Make way for the ducklings!!

I watched the movie Last Chance Harvey yesterday. This film stars Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson as two lonely people who meet in London and perhaps will share a life together. It was sweet and melancholy and the two actors have a charming chemistry.

So I think that's it for today. Have a good midweek and I'll see you in the morning!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster











No comments: