Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday Update


Still in the hospital. Might have gone home today (though foot still swollen and I can't walk on it but the infection is lessening) but I have now had an allergic reaction to a medication I've been given; don't know which one. I'm covered in spots. I can't begin to convey how annoying this is and how tired I am of this. I can tell you I'm pretty much over my anxiety about shots -- it's IV flushes that make me cringe now.


Started reading THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE by Steig Larsson. This is second of the Millenium Trilogy. Here's a description:


Lisbeth Salander is a wanted woman. Two Millennium journalists about to expose the truth about sex trafficking in Sweden are murdered, and Salander's prints are on the weapon. Her history of unpredictable and vengeful behaviour makes her an official danger to society - but no-one can find her. Mikael Blomkvist, editor-in-chief of Millennium, does not believe the police. Using all his magazine staff and resources to prove Salander's innocence, Blomkvist also uncovers her terrible past, spent in criminally corrupt institutions. Yet Salander is more avenging angel than helpless victim. She may be an expert at staying out of sight - but she has ways of tracking down her most elusive enemies.

This was published this year and 608 pages. It's keeping my attention which is an important thing.


Here's what's on my wish list for the next 48 hours:


  • I want to be able to walk.

  • I want to have this allergic reaction to go away.

  • I want to leave this hospital and go home.

  • I want to never encounter this kind of infection ever ever again.

I don't think any of this list is unreasonable.


Of course, one cannot blog in this particular space/time without mentioning the passing of Michael Jackson. I never liked his music but I acknowledge his immense talent and the huuuuge impact he made on entertainment and pop music. Isn't it sad that all people can really say is how tragic, what a tragic life. Wouldn't you hate that when you died? I mean, it was a LIFE, moment by moment for 50 years.


And Farrah Fawcett passing on the same day. Again, wouldn't it be sad that the most she's remembered for is the way she looked 30 years ago? She lived a life more than that. Some may say that at least she is remembered by millions of people and not just an obscure nobody like the rest of us who pass over but is that really that important? I think not.


They say it comes in threes. Ed McMahon was the first of this triplet and not only was he the second banana for most of his career, he comes in third or is barely there. One of my nurses was saying "yeah, they come in threes and somebody died a just a little while ago but we couldn't remember who it was...."


For some stupid reason the theme song from Fame popped into my brain now. Make it go away.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

Unknown said...

PK,

I am so sorry that you are ill. I want to wish you a speedy recovery. I enjoy your blog very much, and I understand what a huge comfort books can be in a situation such as yours.

Again ,all my best - my prayers are with you!

Unknown said...

I stumbled upon your blog and saw that you read my recent novel. I hope you liked it-- and I hope you feel better soon!