Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Midweek meandering without substance

Here's an interesting Blog/Website of the Day: www.whatisstephenharperreading.ca. LIFE OF PI author Yann Martel has vowed that every two weeks "for as long as Stephen Harper is prime minister of Canada," he will send Harper "a book that has been known to expand stillness." I believe there are 57 entries thus far.



Had a good meeting with Jody today so now we wait. Otherwise, I stopped for groceries at Walmart and dropped off books at the library. Walked Tug in pretty good weather. Steve goes shooting tonight and I think I'll figure out what I'll read next since it appears to be nothing on tv for me this evening.



I don't know if it will be the one, but I picked up China Mieville newest, THE CITY AND THE CITY. Yes, it's still surreal SFF but he's added a crime fiction element to it. Here's a description:
Inspector Tyador Borlu, a lonely police detective, is assigned to the murder of a young woman found dumped in a park on the edge of Beszel, an old city, decaying and mostly forgotten, situated in an unspecified area on the southeastern fringes of Europe. But Beszel does not exist alone; it shares much of the same physical space with Ul Qoma. Each city retains a distinct culture and style, and the citizenry of both places has elaborate rules and rituals to avoid the dreaded Breach, which separates the two across space and time. This unique setting becomes one of the most important and well-developed characters in the novel, playing a pivotal role in the mystery when Tyador discovers that his murder case is much more complex than a dumped body, requiring “international” cooperation with the Ul Qoman authorities.

So we'll see. I also have many books in series I should be reading so I'm not hurting for possibilities: Deborah Crombie, Alys Clare, Carola Dunning, Susanna Gregory, Rennie Airth, Reginald Hill, etc., etc.



I watched the premiere episode of Nurse Jackie; a new series on Showtime starring Edie Falco. I don't know what to think about it yet. Probably VERY realistic about the world of nursing in the big city. There are quite a few medical shows starting now, perhaps as a fill-the-void measure now that ER is gone. TNT is starting one with Jada Pinkett in the starring role. I can't remember the other one right now. And they ALL are not "pretty" depictions of the medical world.



Tomorrow, I don't believe I need to go anywhere -- oh, a couple drop off errands but that's it. I plan to relax ... and maybe get a head start on cleaning or laundry.




Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: