Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reading ...


I'm currently reading THE KING JAMES CONSPIRACY by Phillip Depoy. This is a standalone that was published last month and has 394 pages. Here is a description:



The turning of the wheel by the tilling of the wheat.
With these cryptic words, a conspiracy is set into motion that threatens the new translation of the Bible ordered by King James I, and the lives of the scholars working on it. What if, in the original Hebrew gospels, there were secrets so shocking that revealing them could be disastrous for the Church of England? And what if there had been a fiendish conspiracy to prevent the creation of the King James Bible, a conspiracy of men so desperate to keep the buried secrets from being exposed that they would stop at nothing, not even murder? In 1605, in Cambridge England, a group of scholars brought together to create a definitive English translation of the Bible finds one of its members savagely murdered by unknown hands. Deacon Marbury, the man in charge of this group, seeks outside help to find the murderer, to protect the innocents and their work. But the people who offer to help are not who they claim to be and the man they send to Marbury—Brother Timon—has a secret past, much blood on his hands, and is an agent for those forces that wish to halt the translation itself. But as the hidden killer continues his gruesome work, the body count among the scholars continues to rise. Brother Timon is torn between his loyalties and believes an even greater crisis looms as ancient and alarming secrets are revealed—secrets dating back to the earliest days of Christianity that threaten the most basic of its closely held beliefs.


This book has many elements that I love: great time period, religious and political intrigue, an academic setting, a crime to be solved... I would, however, label this book more of a "historical thriller" than a "historical mystery" because of its pace and somehow lack of depth. In most historicals I feel more involved somehow in the story. This is interesting but somehow shallow in its historical-ness. It's not a real complaint -- I couldn't put it down because it flowed so well -- but I usually feel pulled into the world more.


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is the Mystery Read-A-Thon found at http://mysteryreadathon.blogspot.com/. Today is apparently the day to participate. However, I think EVERY day is a read-a-thon so will do my usual reading habits. :) They do have a couple of interesting memes. Here's one:


What books do you want to read during this read-a-thon?

I'll be reading the above mentioned THE KING JAMES CONSPIRACY by Phillip Depoy. I'm almost halfway through so I hope to finish it tonight.


How many books do you hope to finish?

One. For some reason I'm getting blisters on my foot (started with wearing uncomfortable but pretty shoes in Dallas and getting rubbed the wrong way and walking too much in them but having no other options) and I'll have to ask Steve to walk Tug today -- and actually stay off my feet today -- so I'll have extra time.


What (if any) breaks do you intend to take?

Oh the usual for changing laundry, letting Tug in and out, getting drinks, etc.


Do you generally read lots of mysteries and thrillers or are the one of the many genres you like?

As many have discovered, I prefer mysteries. Nearly exclusively -- I'd say 95 percent of the time. I dip into straight historical, the occasional romance, or interesting nonfiction every now and then. I follow way too many series to let me stray too often.


What are some of your favorite authors?

My favorites sub-genres are historical mystery, police procedural, private eyes, classic mysteries, and psychologicals. British crime fiction, Eurocrime fiction... Within those there are soooo many good authors.

Historical mystery: CJ Sansom, CS Harris, Arianna Franklin, Margaret Frazer, Bernard Knight, Susanna Gregory, Tasha Alexander, Deanna Raybourn, Deryn Lake, Patricia Wynn, Laurie R. King ...

Police Procedural: Reginald Hill, Stephen Booth, Peter Robinson, John Harvey, Deborah Crombie, Elizabeth George, Ed McBain, JD Robb ...

Private Investigator: Lawrence Block, Bill Pronzini, Marcia Muller, Janet Dawson, SJ Rozan, Sue Grafton ....


It may be easier to list who I DON'T like, eh?


If you could make us all read one mystery or thriller for this read-a-thon, which one would it be and why?

I would love to have someone read a historical mystery and fall in love with that subgenre but mostly I think people should read what they like as long as they READ. Reading is so important and so entertaining and I feel sorry for those that don't do it or were trained from a child to not value it.


Do you prefer series or stand alones?

I prefer a good story and I don't care in what form it comes.
It's dark and rainy and even cooler today so it's lovely reading weather. Have a good rest of the weekend.
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: