Thursday, June 11, 2009

You can't see me reading


One of the problems for this blog is that I've been reading in the evening ... a whole book therefore I don't really talk about what I'm reading. You've lately only been seeing that I'm in the process of choosing. I'm a fast reader and the books I've read in the past couple days were rather on the light side so I get through them quickly. So yes, I'm once again in the middle of just ending a book and figuring out what's next. I have from the library, Andrew Pepper's first in series called THE LAST DAYS OF NEWGATE. Here's a description:


A story of high intrigue and low politics, of brutal murder and cunning conspiracies, set against the backdrop of a fascinating period in British history and introducing an ingenious, pragmatic, and unforgettable hero. St. Giles, London, 1829—three people have been brutally murdered and the city simmers with anger and political unrest. Pyke, sometime Bow Street Runner, sometime crook, finds himself accidentally embroiled in the murder investigation but quickly realizes that he has stumbled into something more sinister and far-reaching. In his pursuit of the murderer Pyke ruffles the feathers of some powerful people and, falsely accused of murder himself, he soon faces a death sentence and the gallows of Old Bailey. Imprisoned and with only his uncle and the headstrong, aristocratic daughter of his greatest enemy who believe in him, Pyke must engineer his escape, find the real killer, and untangle the web of politics that has been spun around him.

Though published in the UK in 2006, I believe this has only recently shown up on this side of the pond. 400 pages. We'll see if this is the chosen one. :)


Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Wordplayer found at http://www.wordplay.com. Author Toni McGee Causey calls this site better than a master's course in writing.


Today I ran some errands: bank, post office, library, another bank. Walked Tug a little early since it was so nice out. Tomorrow I'm having lunch with Robyn from the museum. I should figure out where the restaurant is, eh?


I got an email about a one day outdoor digital photography class via the art museum that sounds a bit interesting. It would be next Saturday so there's time to contemplate it.


Not much in particular on tv, I think, so maybe some more reading tonight.
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: