Thursday, May 9, 2013

Is it Friday yet? I mean seriously.

I Feel My Crabbiness Level Increasing

30 Day Reading Challenge:

Day 13 - Your favorite writer
I don't like this question; I have a lot of favorite writers. The simple answer would be my favorite writer is the author of the current book I  read and enjoy - at that present moment. Bah. Is this a question for people who don't read very much? Do they mean writer separated from their book? I love THE HUNGER GAMES but would I say that Suzanne Collins is my favorite writer? Not necessarily. Ok, ok, for the beauty of her writing and putting together good books, I'll say Louise Penny. There. Happy now?

I'm about to start a book called THE PASSING BELLS by Phillip Rock. This is an ebook loan from the library so it jumped the queue. Here is a description:


The guns of August are rumbling throughout Europe in the summer of 1914, but war has not yet touched Abingdon Pryory. Here, at the grand home of the Greville family, the parties, dances, and romances play on. Alexandra Greville embarks on her debutante season while brother Charles remains hopelessly in love with the beautiful, untitled Lydia Foxe, knowing that his father, the Earl of Stanmore, will never approve of the match. Downstairs the new servant, Ivy, struggles to adjust to the routines of the well-oiled household staff, as the arrival of American cousin Martin Rilke, a Chicago newspaperman, causes a stir. But, ultimately, the Great War will not be denied, as what begins for the high-bred Grevilles as a glorious adventure soon takes its toll—shattering the household's tranquillity, crumbling class barriers, and bringing its myriad horrors home.
Published in 2012 (originally published in 1978) and has 544 pages. It caught my eye as something to try as as it is compared to Downton Abbey (isn't everything now?). I think this is a first of a trilogy. I'll give it the 20 to 30 page try I guess.

I'm finally free from TV tonight for the most part though we always check out The First 48 while we have dinner.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: