Thursday, February 13, 2014

Apparently this is a mugging, not a massage

Just Let me Paws for a Moment of Rest...

How do you choose what to read?

The only determiner  is my mood. I'm not one to participate in group reads or book clubs because I want to read what I want to read. I don't like any one else's taste dictating to my free time. Also, I have SO MUCH to read that to make time for something that I'm only feeling "meh" about is a big waste of said free time.

I don't understand the mindset of those who do participate in such things or those who participate in reading "challenges." I'm challenged enough to get through my TBR mountain. On my Yahoo group, 4MA, there are some who like to do the challenges. Examples include reading books with "Death" in the title, or reading books whose titles or authors are represented by each letter of the alphabet A to Z, or numbers in the title, or proper names in the title, or visit each state of the US or different countries via your reading material, or read books published FROM several different countries. Or choose a month to only read a certain type of book like anthologies of short stories or graphic novels. Read a new-to-you author each month.  There's been one that had "twin titles" -- different books with the same title. Or spell your name with the first letter of the titles of the books.  Admittedly, some of these are clever but I have to ask: why? Fun for some, yeah okay.

There are different types of readers out there, yes I know. There are readers who (gasp) don't really know WHAT to read (faint dead away). They need some kind of inspiration or dare I say *push* to start the search. Are they really enjoying the story of what they read by doing this somewhat arbitrarily? (shrug) Is there really an emotional connection in a "have-to" or "should" read?

My only problem is choosing amongst what I already have available.... in abundance. A good problem to have, I'd say.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PK--I,too, cannot understand when somebody doesn't know what to read. I have books on my kindle, the library (what would I do without one?), lending library at my apartment building, checking a favorite author's website to see what they have new or might not have read yet,..... As you can see, I'm never at a loss for what to read! Don't know what I'd without a book.
Sandi