Monday, August 29, 2016

Leave me a lone, Monday!


I actually read a lot over the weekend. What the heck?


I finished the Susanna Gregory. Read a memoir-type scrapbook thing by Judi Dench. Re-read CHERRY AMES STUDENT NURSE by Helen Wells, published in 1943.

And I read A USEFUL WOMAN by Darcie Wilde. 1st of a series featuring Rosalind Thorne, a minor heiress in Regency London.


The daughter of a baronet and minor heiress, Rosalind Thorne was nearly ruined after her debtor father abandoned the family. To survive in the only world she knew, she began to manage the affairs of some of London society’s most influential women, who have come to rely on her wit and discretion.  So, when artistocratic wastrel Jasper Aimesworth is found dead in London’s most exclusive ballroom, Almack’s, Rosalind must use her skills and connections to uncover the killer from a list of suspects that includes Almack’s powerful patronesses and her former suitor Devon Winterbourne, now Lord Casselmaine. Torn between her old love and a growing attraction to a compelling Bow Street runner, Rosalind must not only unravel the mysteries surrounding Jasper’s death, but the mysteries of her own heart as well...
Published in 2016, it has 365 pages. I really really liked it and consumed it in one day.Can't wait for the next on in May.

On Saturday, I shopped at a couple different stores for produce and other items to help out on my food plan. I stopped by a tea shop and picked up some incredibly fantastic smelling tea called Evening in Missoula.



This tea contains chamomile, rose hips, raspberry leaf, papaya leaf, peppermint, spearmint, blackberry leaf, passion flower, red clover, star anise, wild cherry bark, lemon peel, wintergreen, vanilla, lavender, and stevia. And I picked up a french press rather than a tea ball in which to make it. 


I made oatmeal-less oatmeal for breakfast. Substituting cauliflower for oatmeal, from thehealthyfoodie.com. This is her recipe: 

Apple & Cinnamon N’Oatmeal

Apple & Cinnamon N’Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. By far, my favorite way to rice cauliflower is in the food processor. Simply cut the cauliflower into very small florets, throw them in the bowl of the food processor without overcrowding it and pulse a few times until the cauliflower has the desired coarseness. 10 to 15 short pulses usually do the trick.
  2. A Ninja Prep Master works wonders for small quantities such as this, but you could also use a box grater if you wanted to.
  3. Once your cauliflower has been riced, add a cup of it to a medium saucepan, along with raisins and pecans.
  4. In a measuring cup, mix the the coconut milk, sweet apple cider, salt and spices and add that to the saucepan. Bring to low boil over medium heat and cook until cauliflower is tender and cooking liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 10 minutes or so.
  5. Remove from heat and pour the eggs in a steady stream while whisking constantly so they don't cook and curdle on you. Add flax seed and resume whisking until completely incorporated.
  6. Serve right away, garnished with more coconut milk and a few pieces of nuts.

And right away I made adjustments. I don't like raisins in oatmeal or nuts so I didn't do the pecans either.  I didn't have apple cider so I food processed a quarter of an apple. It wasn't sweet enough so I did the rest of the apple. Still not sweet enough so I pureed a banana -- that helped and added even more to the creaminess and thickening. Then I food processed some pitted dates and then it was very good.


I also made meatballs substituting cauliflower for the breadcrumbs/crackers in a meatloaf-type recipe. Turned out really well, too.

Have a good one



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: