Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday strikes again


Here we are back again.


I finished reading the Michael Jecks book. I started and finished MURDER IN CHINATOWN by Victoria Thompson. 9th of 19 in series featuring Sarah Brandt, a midwife, and Detective Sergeant Malloy in turn-of-the-20th-century New York City.

Sarah Brandt has made her uneasy way to Chinatown to deliver a baby. There she meets a group of Irish women who, completely alone at Ellis Island, married Chinese men in the same predicament. But even as a new century dawns, New Yorkers still cling to their own kind, scorning children of mixed races.When the new mother's half-Chinese, half-Irish niece goes missing, Sarah knows that alerting the police will accomplish nothing, and seeks the one person she can turn to-Detective Sergeant Malloy.And when the missing girl is found dead in a Chinatown alley, Sarah and Malloy have ample suspects in her murder-from both sides of Canal Street.

Published in 2007, it has 320 pages. 

And, after a long hiatus from it, I got back to MURDER ON HIGH HOLBORN by Susanna Gregory. 9th of 11 in series featuring Thomas Chaloner, intelligencer to the Earl of Clarendon, Lord Chancelor, during the Restoration in 1660s London.

In 1665 England faces war with the Dutch and the capital is awash with rumors of conspiracy and sedition. These are more frenetic than normal because of the recent sinking in the Thames of one of the largest ships in the navy, a disastrous tragedy that could very well have been caused by sabotage. As an experienced investigator, Thomas Chaloner knows that there are very few grains of truth in the shifting sands of the rumor-mill, but the loss of such an important warship and the murder of Paul Ferine, a Groom of the Robes, in a brothel favored by the elite of the Palace of White Hall makes him scent a whiff of genuine treason. As well as investigating the murder, Chaloner is charged with tracking down the leaders of a fanatical sect known as the Fifth Monarchists. He suspects his masters are not particularly concerned by their amateur antics, and that the order for him to infiltrate the group is intended to distract him from uncovering some unsavory facts about Ferine and his courtly associates. Then, as he comes to know more about the Fifth Monarchists and their meetings on High Holborn, he discovers a puzzling number of connections—to both Ferine's murder and those involved with the defense of the realm. Connections that he must disentangle before it is too late to save the country.
 Published in 2014, it has 448 pages. 

 I'm on Day 27 of food detox.


Back in November, for my birthday Steve gifted me with a sizable gift card from Amazon. I was in the midst of another eating healthy fling and decided to spend it all and then some on a Kitchen Aid mixer and attachments, the food processor and spiralizer. 


I never even got it out of the box because of ... things too numerous to go into. I set it up this weekend and gave it a whirl with (as it happens to be pictured here) a zucchini. So in paleo land, zucckini like this is a noodle replacement and I had it like noodles with butter. It was not bad at all and rather easy to use and clean. I will be using it quite frequently now I have a feeling. We had it walleye I broiled. Steve had his fish with a Parmesan coating and I had mine plain. It was nummy!


Otherwise, I did the usual chores and napped and so forth. I wanted to accomplish more but I will be happy with what I did get done.

Have a good day!



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: