Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Bird of happ--- nevermind.

 Wednesday. Second month of the year already. Happy February. 

 

In January, I completed 14 books. I've astonished myself.

 


This month, I'm participating in a Retro-Romance Readathon put on by some BookTubers I follow.

 


 I have red hearts on the ones that I've checked off in my choices. By "Retro" they are going back 20 years or older ... so 2003. I know, that's crazy.

 


No pressure on this. Readers can do just one book in the month to consider themselves participating. A book can be more than one of the categories above or if really ambitious one book for each -- it's entirely freely up to the reader. So what I've chosen so far is:

 


 THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER by Kathleen Woodiwiss. Published 1972. Covering "a 'cold' hero" and "marriage of convenience" categories. I had started this re-read quite a while ago, got a little over 50% before letting it go so I'm going to finish it for this. 

And: 

 


 ROMANCING MR. BRIDGERTON by Julia Quinn. Published 2002. Covering "next in series" category. This is fourth in the Bridgerton series made very popular by Netflix. I've read the first three in the series and it wasn't really tripping my trigger in order to continue but it was available on the Las Vegas Library site so what the heck.

Red hearts are on other categories because I have plans for a Barbara Cartland for a "stand alone romance" and "sprayed edges" choice. I don't know which one yet but I'll find one at the used bookstore. And for "category romance" I have several of the Loveswept books, if you remember.

 


I know. I know. I've really got to keep up my reading pace because I have a list of 15 books or so I'd like to get to sooner rather than later. In addition, this month has two "scavenger hunt" reads in the cozy mystery group of YouTubers. 

Feb. 12th - "Elderly or mature sleuth". I'm thinking of a couple options here. Yet to be definitively determined.

Feb. 19th - "Purple on the cover". And I do have an option here too. 

And here is my TBR kinda sorta maybe for this month from which I will choose my next reads... 

  • A KILLING OF INNOCENTS by Deborah Crombie (new release)
  • AN EXTRAVAGANT DEATH by Charles Finch (next-in-series read)
  • ANCILLARY JUSTICE by Ann Leckie
  • CORPORATE GUNSLINGER by Doug Engstrom (LV library)
  • DEATH BY THE DOZEN by Jenn McKinlay (LV library)
  • DOUBT by Jenny Schwartz
  • EMILY WILDE'S ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FAIRIES by Heather Fawcett
  • ENCORE IN DEATH by JD Robb (new release)
  • JADE CITY by Fonda Lee (23 in 23)
  • MURDER AT HAVEN'S ROCK by Kelley Armstrong (new release)
  • NETWORK EFFECT by Martha Wells
  • OBSIDIAN by Alice Sabo
  • PRIVATEER by J A Sutherland
  • RISE OF EMPIRE by Michael J. Sullivan
  • ROYAL ASSASSIN by Robin Hobb
  • SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman
  • THE UNKINDNESS OF RAVENS by M. E. Hilliard (LV library)

 ... unless my mood changes. Which I'M SURE it won't.


 Tonight, Steve has the gun range. I'm gonna read -- what the heck else? I'm really liking the Abercrombie fantasy I'm reading. I'm stalling on the mystery so I may pause on that.


Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: