Thursday, April 23, 2009

Frost/Nixon; stuff


Sorry for the late post; I didn't have a chance to earlier today. Jody came over for lunch and to watch the DVD of Frost/Nixon. Here's a description from IMDB.com:
Writer Peter Morgan's legendary battle between Richard Nixon, the disgraced president with a legacy to save, and David Frost, a jet-setting television personality with a name to make, in the story of the historic encounter that changed both their lives. For three years after being forced from office, Nixon remained silent. But in summer 1977, the steely, cunning former commander-in-chief agreed to sit for one all-inclusive interview to confront the questions of his time in office and the Watergate scandal that ended his presidency. Nixon surprised everyone in selecting Frost as his televised confessor, intending to easily outfox the breezy British showman and secure a place in the hearts and minds of Americans (as well as a $600,000 fee). Likewise, Frost's team harbored doubts about their boss' ability to hold his own. But as cameras rolled, a charged battle of wits resulted.
It's directed by Ron Howard and stars Frank Langella and Michael Sheen and a cast of other very good actors. I enjoyed it. I don't remember much about that time period; I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when Nixon left office. I do remember hearing the adults talking about "watergate" and thinking how strange that there'd be a gate in the middle of beach. However, I've always loved ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN and was the reason why I wanted to pursue journalism (which didn't stay with me after my freshman year in college, but ah well). Both Frank Langella and Michael Sheen repeat the roles they created on stage. Ron Howard would only agree to direct if the studio would allow both actors to appear in the film version. I now look forward to watching it again with the DVD commentary by Ron Howard.
So not much else accomplished today other than spot cleaning and walking Tug. It's gotten cold here again and they're saying rain/snow for tomorrow. I don't have any plans for tomorrow so I think I'll look up some business plan examples, list some more books on the online usedbookstore, and otherwise just relax and not clean anything. I have to admit, I like the way the house looks for the most part. There are rooms that cannot or will not be touched so we don't look at them. :)
Today's Blog/Website of the Day is A Work In Progress found at http://danitorres.typepad.com/workinprogress/, "adventures in (mostly) reading, and (sometimes) needlework and other artsy endeavors..."
Tonight on tv we'll watch Survivor and Steve has shooting tv shows on one of the outdoor channels. One of these days I have to check out two new shows Harper's Island or Southland. At this point, I'm about three episodes behind, I think, so I'll have to make time to view them online. So I'll probably read or do some journaling.
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

Bernadette said...

An excellent movie. I saw it at the cinema but you're right - the DVD with Howard's commentary would be interesting

PK the Bookeemonster said...

That's what I love about DVDs. Being a sort of movie junkie, I love the behind the scenes info, the more the better. What an amazing invention!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster