Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday and what to do


I am so not making headway in my reading. Where does the time go, I ask you.

I'm looking into online used book exchanges to try to get rid of the books I'm not wanting anymore. My local used bookstore isn't taking them now because they're stuffed to the gills. There are a couple other UBSs in town but not necessarily in my closest area to make it worth the trip when I am looking for something myself. And that is the problem I'm finding with the online sites. I'm perfectly willing to list my books but the points you earn in doing so is how you can get books that YOU'RE interested in and I"m not finding a whole lot of the books I need to be getting to further my histmyst series reading. No Deryn Lakes or Bernard Knights, etc. Bothersome.

Not much happening today. I hope to do some cleaning as well as reading as well as researching. A trip to the library is in the offing but that could wait. Just a whole bunch of indecision today.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Passages to the Past found at http://passagestothepast.blogspot.com/. Amy's site is the "place to be for all your historical fiction needs!" She does book reviews and author interviews as well as future releases updates.
Off you go now, have a good Thursday....
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

Bernadette said...

Hi Bookeemonster, I did respond to you in 4MA but thought I'd add here that I think regardless of the site you use you'll need to be a member with a wishlist to start finding the books you want. With bookmooch many of the books probably never make it to the general pool of available books which is what you are searching right now. I know when I add books to my inventory many are snapped up by people who have the book on their wishlist and I get the majority of my books via my wishlist too. With bookmooch another thing you can do is subscribe to the RSS feed for specific members, so if there are people who seem to have similar tastes you can subscribe to their inventory feed and as soon as they list books you get notified and can snap up any good ones that you may not have had on your wishlist.

I assume the other swap sites work in a similar way but I'm not sure as bookmooch is the only one I've found that is global which is a key factor for me down here in Australia.

I have gotten a range of books over the past 12 months (I put loads of first books in series I'd never tried on my wishlist) but also quite a few new releases. You do have to be a little patient. I'm averaging 1-2 notifications about my wishlist ever week now.

I've given out about 120 books and received about 95. I did a lot more sending out in my first few months as a member and now I've evened out and am nearly on a one to one ratio. I have loads of points still available to me if dozens of books on my wishlist should suddenly become available.

I am a definite fan of swap sites in gernal and bookmooch in particular

Good luck

PK the Bookeemonster said...

Thanks, Bernadette! I'm thinking online is definitely the way to go. At least a better chance of finding things either nationally or internationally of things I like. I have credit at the local UBS but they don't typically get in the stuff I'm looking for. I have a LOT of books to get rid of. Maybe I'll post a little to both Bookmooch and paperback swap and see how each performs for me from there. Hmmmm....
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster