Monday, December 21, 2009


Oh, not much to talk about. Lots of calls at work. Walked Tug; made dinner, reading emails. Wrapped a few presents but not quite done yet.


I'm wondering if Steve is giving me a Kindle -- he keeps talking about the Sony e-reader -- knowing I'm not interested in that one and he loves to tease -- and mentioned an interesting thing happened to him today but he can't tell me about it yet because it involves my present. Hmmmm.... BTW, he's going to love his gift -- I can't wait to give it to him.


Found an interesting biography-essay-ish book at the library today: THE ELFISH GENE: dungeons, dragons and growing up strange by Mark Barrowcliffe. Here's a description:


Barrowcliffe tells the story of a self-proclaimed nerd living in 1970s Coventry, England; Dungeons & Dragons; and the boys who played it. He provides a humorous look into the world of fantasy role-playing at a time when computer RPGs didn't exist and people were forced to use their imaginations. He recounts his foray into the game, his struggle to belong, and what ultimately led to his "growing up." The writing is often self-deprecating and combines views on the city with detailed descriptions of the gaming sessions. Despite-or, in part, because of the long descriptions of gaming, this book will appeal to those interested in the RPG phenomenon. The author's character development leaves readers with a strong sense of who these boys were and why they played the game.

This is Steve to a T. He played D&D in junior high/high school with his friends for a number of years before succumbing to computer games. I wanted to play this game around junior high but couldn't find anyone to play with. Yes, we're both nerds/geeks but it manifested differently, I think, along boy/girl lines.


We watched the Survivor finale last night. Sorry, I don't think Natalie deserved the million dollars. The jury voted on popularity/likeability rather than game play which I think is wrong. Yes, she played a different game but Russell - as unlikeable as he was in this game (and I hope he's different outside it) -- played a stronger, more strategic game and deserved the win. Well, at least we have our Thursdays back until it starts up again in February.


I had a slight headache last night so I couldn't fall asleep very quickly therefore I didn't get enough sleep. Tired this evening so I'm going to finish up computering soon, read a couple pages, then go to bed.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: