Saturday, December 19, 2009

That's Christmas around the corner, isn't it ... bah humbug


I'm writing this on my computer in my office. For several months past, I've done my computering on the laptop upstairs but here I am at my desk. And I've gotten very used to my computer set up at work, apparently. At work, I have two flatscreen monitors, linked, and I really like it. This one monitor thing kinda sucks. :)

I ran a couple errands today -- went to the library to pick up a hold and to Barnes and Noble to return a gift (the secret Santa gift for work because I gave her something better). I also stopped somewhere else to finalize Steve's gift(s). I picked up the movie Love, Actually for myself -- really like it and have seen it a couple times but I don't own it and it was only $10. Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson and the kid are terrific -- so many good characters I think it is a new Christmas classic and the scene at the airport at the end makes me tear up every time. The writer of this movie is the same one who did Four Weddings and a Funeral which I think is funnier but this has a slightly more mature thoughtfulness to it despite some silliness.

I got home and took Tug for a good long walk. Laid down for a little bit but couldn't get warm (I didn't think I got cold on the walk but apparently so) so I warmed up the bones in the shower. Then vacuumed. I've had some loads of laundry going but will finish that up tomorrow.

I still need to wrap presents and work on a gift project this weekend. I also have to do Christmas cards. I wasn't going to send any this year but we're *receiving* a number of them so I guess I'd better reciprocate. (huuuge sigh) Tomorrow night we have the Survivor finale and reunion show to watch (three hours total).

Why can I never remember good and original things to write about when I get online to post? I thought of great things last night but now ... poof ... gone.

I finished GIRL ON LEGARE STREET last night so I think I'm back to the Susanna Gregory. I have three more books to read to complete my goal of 120 books this year (10 per month average). Like I've mentioned before, 2010 will be when I read the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett and not have any set number to achieve by year's end. I think I may also include reading more of the "big books" I have on hand like DROOD, THE BEST OF MEN, THE OWL KILLERS, NOW FACE TO FACE, a Sharon Kay Penman or two ... we'll see. It's going to be "Big Honkin' Book Year." As well as the usual series and so forth I read regularly.

I don't believe there are any more new releases of books in December for me. January has about one a week for me I think:


EGGSECUTIVE ORDERS by Julie Hyzy
THE BETRAYAL OF THE BLOOD LILY by Lauren Willig
THE PARISIAN PRODIGAL: A Fools' Guild Mystery by Alan Gordon
ORIGINAL SIN by Allison Brennan


All right, back to your regularly scheduled weekend ...

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster



UPDATE:

Hey, there's a challenge that's covering what I'm going to do. Of course, there is a challenge, there's a challenge for everything and anything you can think of in the reading world.


February 1, 2010 - January 31, 2011
Definition of a Chunkster:
A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) ... A chunkster should be a challenge.
If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
The Rules:
  • No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
  • No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.
  • Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
  • Books may crossover with other challenges
  • Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
  • You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
  • Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!You must pick a level of participation (thanks again to Dana for the humor in these categories!):
The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader
who has a couple of large tomes on their


TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much
more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge.

Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is
for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 4 Chunksters over the
next twelve months.

Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of
control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more
chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on
and give in to your cravings.

Some Other Questions you Might Have:
To review or not to review, that is the quesion...Reviews are not mandatory, but they are strongly encouraged.

Will there be prizes? Perhaps.

No comments: