Saturday, December 12, 2009

Read Your Own Books 2010


For 2010, the RYOB (Read Your Own Books) challenge! The rules are simple:


  • Pick a number of books you’d like to read in one year

  • Choose those books from your OWN collection

  • Read them between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010

And, that’s it! Some other guidelines for this challenge:



  • Re-Reads are NOT allowed (the challenge is to get more of your own books read that have been sitting there waiting!)

  • Audiobooks & e-books ARE allowed

  • You do NOT need a blog to participate


***************************************************

I'm SO doing this. Last year I wasn't aware of this challenge but I did have a goal of reading 10 books a month or 120 books. (yes, I have reading goals -- so there) I've stated before that I've been meaning to read Dorothy Dunnett's historicals for ages and 2010 is the year. I'll be reading other books, of course, but these are the ones for which I'm setting a goal:


Dorothy Dunnett: (The Lymond Chronicles)
1. THE GAME OF KINGS
2. QUEEN'S PLAY
3. THE DISORDERLY KNIGHTS
4. PAWN IN FRANKINCENSE
5. THE RINGED CASTLE
6. CHECK MATE
(leaving the Niccolo series for the next year)


I don't want to overdo the goal and not be able to accomplish what I've set out by listing any more books -- believe me, I could quadruple this list. Plus, these are big, dense books. And I know the year will go more quickly than I think. For the six books listed, I have provided two months per books. Seems reasonable to include these books into my regular rotation. I've also been meaning to read so many other books and authors (coming to mind right now are the Sharon Kay Penman historicals) but I don't think I should take on more than I can chew -- those in particular are biiiig honkin' books and I do want to keep reading in the series of which I'm in the middle.

And in mysteries, omg, there's so many authors: Ian Rankin (I've read 4 leaving 15 more in the Rebus series), Ed McBain (over 50 books alone in the 87th precinct seris), Lawrence block, Archer Mayor, Jane Haddam, Pronzini, Rendell, PD James, Reginald Hill, Perry Mason, Rex Stout, Colin Dexter, the Golden Era authors, Fyfield, Emma Lathen, the roman period histmyst authors, catch up on Grafton Grimes McDermid Peters ... you see my problem (and yes, I have a lot of these books in my possession). But I'm putting a limit on this challenge to provide a little leeway and wiggle room. :) Not so much time to read now.

Steve got up early today (like 7am when he usually sleeps until 11) and I thought he was confusing today for a work day. But no, he wanted to go to Cabela's for some kind of doorbuster sale at 8am and he wanted me to go along with him. So I did -- 'cause I was already up, I'm an early riser and a morning person and we haven't done anything together for a while. After Cabela's, I convinced him to go to breakfast at IHOP which we haven't done in about a year and a half. My tummy is very full now. Borders was right next door and I needed to get a different gift for my secret santa person at work plus I had a gift card to use up so I dragged him over there. Now Steve is back in bed, snoring away. I'll walk Tug in a little bit and then I think I'll take a nap too this afternoon.

Otherwise today, I need to do the usually cleaning and laundry. I have many many 4MA digests from the past week to read. I think tonight for dinner we'll have leftovers -- easy, satisfying, and clears out the fridge. I think we're supposed to be getting another snow storm; there's a winter weather advisory from now until Monday. I'm thinking it will be good to snuggle down for a day and half. I've got the Maureen Ash to finish and I have a brand new Susanna Gregory from Book Depository to read next. Life is good.


Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: