Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Eve Eve

Busy day today so this may be short unless I get on a ramble.

Vacuumed downstairs, cleaned out the pellet stove as best I could without a shop vac, got the mail out, called in Steve's prescriptions. Next up in my day: wrapping a couple presents, baking apple crisp if I get to it, etc. The snow started yesterday afternoon, not heavy or anything, but looks like it continued through the night so there is several inches out there. I'm glad I got my errands run yesterday. It wouldn't be horrible to go out today, just not necessary.

I got Steve a PC game yesterday at Best Buy. I know it's one of three that he's interested in. And I debated among the three which one to get and I chose "X" (name being withheld for Christmas secretcy purposes). Wouldn't you know it, we were watching tv last night and on the gaming channel we came across a show specifically dedicated to that game.And he was watching it, saying that's a game he wants (like I didn't know). I was panicking. Steve is well known for buying things for himself even the day of Christmas Eve. He has done so in the past, ruining presents I had already gotten for him as a gift. So I was debating whether to play it cool or somehow slip into the conversation that there was from now on a moratorium on buying things for ourselves. So I decided to casually say something like that later on but I don't think it stuck. Keep your fingers crossed so that he doesn't get it because he watched that show, it put that game on the front of his list and he goes out to buy it for himself. I mean, yes, I do have the receipt and he can exchange it (check that, **I'd** be the one returning it since I "have so much time on my hands now"). It would just be easier to have him not get it so I just need to get through another day and a few hours.

We now don't know now if Steve's parents will be going to ND/MN this week with the weather the way it is. If they stay, it throws a kink in our plans unless we exclude them. I'm thinking maybe the best route would be visiting them Christmas Day in the afternoon. I hope that will suffice. I mean, we don't have huge important plans but it was going to us together relaxed and no hassle. We'll know today; heck, Steve probably already knows.

I'm reading LONELY HEARTS by John Harvey. This is the first in his Charlie Resnick, jazz-loving police detective in Nottingham, England. Much beloved series of 11 books. This book was published in 1989. I've been meaning to get to this series. I've read some of his other series but for some reason couldn't get into this one. Well, it clicked with my mood the other night so here we go. Here's a description:

The first major case for Resnick and his team concerns a number of increasingly serious attacks on women who have been using the Lonely Hearts column of the local newspaper. Simultaneously, Resnick becomes involved with Rachel Chaplin the social worker assigned to a family caught up in allegations of child abuse.

His website can be found at http://www.mellotone.co.uk/index.html.

Veronica Mars' storyline is heating up, getting tidbits of information about her best friend's murder as well as the history between her mother and Kane. Unfortunately, I won't get the next disc until maybe Friday. I wish more of their series were digitalized. Much more time convenient for me. But, next up is the last two episodes of MI-5 Season Three.

Otherwise, must get going again on my projects today. Will walk Tug later -- that will be a slogfest through the snow in the fields. Tug will be happy happy happy though. Strangely, he doesn't really go out into the back yard much at all. Maybe I'll need to go out there to show him what he's missing in his own domain. He's sacked out now on his bed in the living room. So cute.

Well, I'd better get to my projects for the day or else I'll let them go by the wayside while I read a book or watch a DVD.

Hey, our neighbor is out ploughing the street. He's such a good guy. He's got as snow plough that he doesn't get to use very often so when it does snow he goes wild. Right now he's zipping up and down our street, happy as a clam I imagine. Kinda like motorcycle guy in Local Hero.

Happy Christmas Eve Eve!

PK the Bookeemonster


No comments: