Thursday, December 25, 2008

Working on a list of favs for 2008

So, a list of my favorite reads in 2008. Thus far, and with a few days left in the year, I've read 108 books. Broke the 100 barrier, but it's not my personal best in number read. Looking over my reading journal now, and I'll note ones that stand out and then make a final determination...

Tops

REVELATION by CJ Sansom
THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON by Kate Morton
COMPANY OF LIARS by Karen Maitland
THE WHISKEY REBELS by David Liss
THE BRASS VERDICT by Michael Connelly
WHERE SERPENTS SLEEP by C.S. Harris
VOWS OF SILENCE by Susan Hill
SALVATION IN DEATH by J.D. Robb

Bottoms
LIFE LINES by CJ Lyons
THAI DIE by Monica Ferris
SACRIFICE by S.J. Bolton
L.A. OUTLAWS by T. Jefferson Parker

Wow, who knew I'd be having trouble coming up with ten. I've gone through the listings for the year three times now and I'm struggling. The first three tops are VERY strong. Loved them, no question or hesitation. The next four are strong and nearly nearly there as tip top but just a slight degree off.

Perhaps part of my problem this morning is that I'm not really in a "book" mood right now. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does this make me more objective in my choices therefore the choices will be more "true?" Or am I being too dispassionate to be truly "sentimental?" Hmmm. Looking again over the lists....

I know I liked several reads throughout the year, Silva, Gregory, Franklin, Willig, Robb of course, Robinson, Hill, Gordon, George, Alexander, Rankin, Peters, Rickman, Saums, Spencer-Fleming, Penman, ...

ABSOLUTION by Caro Ramsay. I remember having a strong reaction to this one but it was before my blog so I don't have notes. Let me look up on Amazon to refresh my memory.... it has always stood out as a memorable read but maybe not necessarily as a "best" book. But more for a shocking (to me) ending. The same thing as Susan Hill did in her first book, if you take my POV character meaning.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high. There were new releases by author's I've enjoyed in the past that I found to be quite disappointing, Ferris, Peters, Cain, Krueger, Gerritsen, etc.

New discoveries are always welcome: Ellen Crosby, Silva I think was new to me this year, Crombie, CS Harris, etc.

I could add:
THE SERPENT'S TAIL by Ariana Franklin
one of the books by Ellen Crosby
THE WESTMINSTER POISONER by Susanna Gregory
THE MONEYLENDER OF TOULOUSE by Alan Gordon
A FATAL WALTZ by Tasha Alexander
THE SEDUCTION OF THE CRIMSON ROSE by Lauren Willig

... but not necessarily because I thought they were "best" but because I enjoyed them but not as examples of exemplary reads, if you take my meaning....

Just added JD Robb to the list of the tops up there. Thinking over that plot, it was one of her best and I do truly enjoy her books. So, I'm up to eight. I may add the Gregory because I like her complication plots of a spy in Restoration England. I could add the Gordon and the Franklin just because I love those authors even though the books may not be stand outs in other terms. I know I really looked forward to reading them the second they came out.

Okay, I'm comfortable with these contenders. Will make a final determination later.

Merry Christmas! Hope you got books for gifts or the potential for books in the form of gift cards. I had fun last night tracking Santa on NORAD. Steve is usually shooting on Wednesday evenings and enjoyed all the shows he misses about shooting; and there are lots of 'em on that night of the week.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: