Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010 and Top 10


Well, I made my reading goal for 2009: I read an average of 10 books a month or a total of 120 in the year. Just made it.


Top 10 of 2009: (in no particular order)


BOOK OF UNHOLY MISCHIEF by Elle Newmark

Just a wonderful story and the way the secret is kept is brilliant


A DARKER DOMAIN by Val McDermid

McDermid at her best. I've always liked this author. I love cold cases and intertwined storylines.


THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE by Steig Larsson

This 2nd book of the trilogy kicked it up a notch. The first book was a complex story told well. This one expanded the conspiracy around an amazing female character and brought the real world of so many people involved than just a set number of suspects and do-gooders in regular mysteries. I read this while in the hospital and it oh so helped me pass the time.


THE LAST EMBER by Daniel Levin

Even before THE DA VINCI CODE, I've loved books around religious/political intrigue and this book delivers in spades. Read it.


THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST by Steig Larsson

I just don't want this story to end but this is the last ever.


SILENT ON THE MOOR by Deanna Raybourn

I have to admit, I love the relationship more than the mystery in this series.


GRAVE GOODS by Ariana Franklin

A strong female lead in a medieval histmyst that isn't a nun is refreshing. I read a lot of medievals and I love them all so this is sort of representative of those.


MARTYR by Rory Clements

An Elizabethan-set mystery! One of my all-time favorite time periods and there are so few of them with the complexity I love. This is a beginning of a new series .... long may the author write them.


A MOMENT OF SILENCE by Anna Dean

I do enjoy the Regency period, too, and with neat element of some of the story told in letters, I really can hear a specific actress's voice in my head for the narrator.


MURDER ON THE LONDON BRIDGE by Susanna Gregory

I love the Restoration time period of corruption and fear and decadence. What a crazy time to life through.


Bottoms (or disappointments):


EVIL AT HEART by Chelsea Cain

I absolutely loved the 1st but now I'm done with this series. The title is fairly accurate and I just don't want it in my brain.


THE STRANGELY BEAUTIFUL TALE OF MISS PERCY PARKER - Leanna Renee Heiber

I won it, read it, it had potential but it turned out to be rather silly


NINE DRAGONS by Michael Connelly

This one was really rather disappointing, he can do so much better


I'm reading some really fantastic series that I really like but can't list as tops because I try to read one a month or every other month and there are just too many to make into a list. I am so blessed that there are soooo many good hystmyst series out there. I am sad to say that because I love them so much I am (thus far) neglecting other great series in police procedurals and private eyes that I mean to get to.


I hope everyone has a 2010 that is filled majorily with joy and good reads.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: