Thursday, January 7, 2010

Next up: yellow ice sculptures


Still cold (supposedly the wind chill dropped to about negative 31), but otherwise sunny today. But this weekend and beyond is near 40s above. Today, I had gone to get the oil changed in my car at lunch time when the lube guys pointed out a nail in the side of one of my back tires. They pumped it up enough for me get back to work and Steve came to get it to get it fixed which was wonderful of him. But overall, grrr.


I'm currently reading THE GAME OF KINGS by Dorothy Dunnett. This is the first book of the famous Lymond Chronicles. I've been meaning to read it for years and this year I'm going to do this series. Here is a description:



A sweeping saga filled with passion, courage, and the endless fight for freedom. The setting is 1547, in Edinborough, Scotland. Henry VIII has died and left a boy on the throne and the Scots have a baby Queen. The game of kings has shifted with new players and everyone is watching, waiting, and juggling for power. Francis Crawford of Lymond returns to the country despite the charge of treason hanging over his head. Set on redeeming his reputation, he leads a company of outlaws against England as he fights for the country he loves so dearly.



It was originally published in 1961. A straight historical novel, the language is dense and will require more than just quick skimming.


Glad tomorrow is Friday -- I so wanted to sleep in this morning. I woke up -- sometimes I move to the couch when Steve's snoring is too much -- and with no clock nearby I can sometimes gauge what time it is by how dark the room is. I was kinda figuring it was 3 0r 4 am and a couple more hours to sleep -- nope, it was 5:00 and I had to get up in a half hour. Blah. So the weekend will be welcome.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: