Monday, February 8, 2010

It's not the Fortress of Solitude until YOU go away...


Ah, Monday. What can one say except I'm glad it's over?


I'm currently reading A FATAL GRACE by Louise Penny. This is 2nd of 5 in series featuring Gamache, Chief Inspector of the Sûreté du Québec, in the village of Three Pines, in southern Quebec. Here's a description:


When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort. CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation.

It was published in the US in 2007 and has 320 pages. I'm reading it on the Kindle. Ideally, it should probably be read at Christmas since it is set then and VERY snowy and holiday-y.


Cold, very cold today. I think the high was supposed to be 11 degrees above. Apparently we have now broken the record for longest snow on the ground in over ten years or something like that. Yeah, winter is the GUEST WHO WOULDN'T LEAVE! AAAAHHHHHHhhh!


Tonight, I've been cleaning up emails and catching up on some news. Just finished dinner. I'll watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations along with the new NFL reality series on Tru TV -- behind the scenes of putting on the big show which sounds interesting to the stage manager in me. After that, hopefully read a little before sleepy time.


I have to go in mega early tomorrow and give blood because I was off a day. My kidney doctor appointment is tomorrow at noon-ish instead of Wednesday. Hunh. Fingers crossed that numbers have improved and I'll fight if she wants to put me on meds. No freakin' way. No more.


The Super Bowl went very well yesterday, I must say. I think the cutest thing ever was Brees holding his son (wearing the noise reduction headphones) at the end. Commercials? Eh, I missed a few so not a big loss. The Puppy Bowl was cute and I loved the bunnies as cheerleaders ("They can't contain themselves!").


And with that, have a good evening and good night.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: