Monday, February 1, 2010

What snow? I don't see any snow....


Okay, the snow thing is getting really old. We got a ton again last night. I think we've had more snow this winter than the last three combined. Billings is usually the banana belt of Montana ... snow dumps before us or after us. For some reason it is now dumping right upon us. I'm vexed. I'm terribly vexed (Gladiator quote).


I'm currently reading THE WITCH HUNTER by Bernard Knight. This is 8th of 13 in series featuring Sir John de Wolfe, the crowner (coroner), in 12th century Devon, England. Here's a description:


Exeter, 1195. When a wealthy mill-owner falls dead across his horse, Sir John de Wolfe, the county coroner, declines to hold an inquest. The man was considerably overweight, had been complaining of chest pains, and showed no signs of injury. A clear-cut case of death from natural causes. But events take a sinister turn when a straw doll is discovered hidden beneath the man's saddlebag, a thin metal spike piercing its heart. Convinced that her husband's death was caused by an evil spell, the victim's strident widow begins a campaign against witchcraft and the so-called "cunning women" who practice it. Soon Exeter is in turmoil, a hysterical mob is on the loose, and several local women are in danger. Still, the coroner declines to get involved—until his own mistress falls under suspicion.

It was published in 2004 and has 370 pages.


Busy at work. Rushed home to walk Tug, rushed to fix dinner so Steve can get going to a meeting. Now I'm reading some emails, plan to read some of my book, but probably head to bed early. Kinda tired.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

Alyce said...

I hope you get a break from the snow soon! We rarely get snow, but the few times it has lasted for more than two or three days we were ready for warmer weather again.

PK the Bookeemonster said...

When I was a kid, we used to have tons of snow here and have outdoor ice rinks. It's been too mild for several years now to do that. This winter ... snow and more snow. It's been in the upper 30s now again so the streets are melting but I'm ready for it to be done now. I cancel my order for more of the white stuff. Wait, I'll send ya some!