Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday's are sometimes too complicated


I'm currently reading THE CREDITON KILLINGS by Michael Jecks. This is 4th of 28 in series featuring Simon Puttock, medieval West County bailiff, and Sir Baldwin Furnshill, ex-Templar Knight, in Devon, England. (you see why I must get back to reading this series with that many to go). Here is a description:


The arrival of the eminent Bishop of Exeter to the small Devonshire town of Crediton—coupled with the unwanted appearance of a particularly unsavory band of mercenary soldiers—has made life exceedingly difficult for Simon Puttock, bailiff of Lydford, and ex-Knight Templar Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace. But it is the grim discovery of the body of a young girl hidden in a chest that unleashes a village-wide plague of fear and suspicion. Stemming the chaos may be beyond the powers of two dedicated upholders of the law. For the Crediton killings have only just begun—and each murder to follow threatens to be more heinous and baffling than the one before.

It was published in 1997 and has 400 pages.


I don't know why the spring forward one hour always takes longer to adapt than the spring back in fall. Or why one hour really feels like five. Well, I didn't sleep well last night -- kept waking up every 90 minutes-ish checking the time.


We watched the first episode of The Pacific last night. Same good production values as Band of Brothers but somehow -- at first viewing -- there is not the connection with the characters. We'll definitely be watching all ten episodes but I hope it gets better.


Book meme:

Do you seek out interviews with authors of books you've enjoyed? Why or why not?
When I seek out information about an author it is more often when I'm first learning about them via whatever source. A title or a new-t0-me author will catch my attention (hey, this is new!) and then I'll check out their website if it's available mostly for an excerpt of the book to see if the voice appeals to me. I'm not really interested in their biographies. As regard to interviews, I am more likely to read a blog than an interview. Interviews are pre-packaged by a third party. If I'm interested in an author's thoughts, I read the blog.


Do you interview authors on your blog? If yes what did you gain from the interview process? If no is it because you don't want to or because you haven't felt able to ask an author yet?

No. They are busy writing and I'm busy reading. If I'm liking what they write, I want them to keep writing and produce more for me to read. I'm not bugging them with questions they've been asked a gabillion times before. Write, author, write! (sound of a whip cracking)


Do you subscribe to the blogs of authors you like? Which ones? All the authors you like or only certain ones?


Subscribe as in check in periodically? Yes. Usually the group ones are easier for some reason. Murderati.com is a daily. Criminal Minds, Lipstick Chronicles, JungleRedWriters, Lady Killers, Kill Zone, The Stiletto Gang, Poe's Deadly Daughters, etc. There are author blogs that I avoid because I dislike one of the authors. Sad that. There are blogs I also read that are reader-oriented rather than author based.


Do you track down author websites or look for biographical information about them elsewhere?


Yes, see previous answer. I'll seek information via amazon.com, stopyou'rekillingme.com. But again, I don't care about their biographies. Why? What has their past have to do with how they tell a story? If they've some background in the area they write, okay, but it still doesn't really have to do with how they write, just that they maybe don't have to do as much research as the next guy.


Would you skip reading a book if you couldn't find out anything about its author?


I may skip it if I can't find some form of excerpt. I have to have a flavor of it before I take a step toward "the first date" of procuring it somehow -- library, Kindle, bookstore, etc.


Much love,


PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: