Sunday, January 9, 2011

I don't have answers

There are those who are politicizing the events of yesterday in Arizona. There are those who are pointing the finger of blame to the concepts and people on the conservative side of the spectrum. They are wrong. The 22-year-old man who committed this crime was unstable and probably had rather murky motivations. And we don't know them yet.

I came across some of the vitriol yesterday from two authors with whom I'm familiar and it shocked me. And it changed my opinion of them. And that makes me sad. Consider this: suppose these authors had said that they support the ideas of the KKK, would that change your opinion of them? Yes. It would. It's the same hatred except that instead of the color of one's skin, they hate the beliefs of a particular set of the population.

There are people who live
in this kind of ignorance and a refusal to look outside that. There is a willfulness to believing in the hate and untruthfulness. And there are those who are willing to feed that ugliness. And I despair at knowing how to continue to live side-by-side with it as the world I know is on fire and being willfully destroyed. In the past I've ignored it because I haven't wanted to give it any power. But is has grown.

Where do you begin? Where do you start in order to teach/show people the value of life -- as there are parts of this country where shooting someone because they cut you off while driving is NORMAL. Killing someone who said the wrong thing or invaded "your" territory is accepted. Where do you begin to show people the value of personal responsibility and the freedom to choose? The ideas that this country was based on were the first of its kind and an AMAZING feat and there are those who have worked very hard over the decades to destroy it. Why? If you don't like it then leave the country and let those of us who do want it live in it. I don't understand it. What is it in them that makes them that way? Power? Hatred? I believe an inherent, internal, true evilness is an extremely rare thing that that can't be the reason that it affects so many people so what is it?

I am at a loss. I believe it starts with one person living in integrity, one's self, and you can change the world but it doesn't seem to be working. They are winning. How do you stop it?

And the way of the world is our fault. We've let the responsibility for so much, we've let it by the wayside. We trusted that the government had the same values and was acting in integrity for the best for the country and us. They weren't. We weren't doing our job in watching and checking them. We thought the media was acting in integrity and reporting the news, the facts, to the best of their abilities. They weren't. They had an agenda for a long time and now they're not even hiding it. We thought the corporate and financial world ... well, they were just in it for the money and corrupted a sound system. Capitalism and free markets are still the best systems but they've been manipulated like all the rest. We were supposed to be educating our kids .... there is an agenda there, too, and self-serving people in power, protecting that power. Even the head of a very powerful national union (and I hate unions) came out in the open last week saying he wasn't there to negotiate wages for workers (yeah, his job), he was there to further the intentions of the progressive party in fundamentally changing the US.

I don't get it. And I'm afraid we're all waking up far too late. And I don't know what somebody like me can do to fix it. I'm one person in Montana who gets up, goes to work, living day by day in order to pay bills and maybe have a little extra to do something I like. I don't have power or the attention of anyone. I don't know what to do but it can't keep going this way.

Back to the regular schedule tomorrow.

http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/2011/01/two-sicknesses-on-display-in-arizona.html



No comments: