Saturday, January 22, 2011

Is it safe to come out?


The equivalent to the Academy Awards in movies in the area of crime fiction is The Edgar Awards. The nominees for the upcoming Edgar Awards were announced a few days ago. Here's a link: http://www.theedgars.com/nominees.html

Even though I read a lot of crime fiction, I'm not familiar with all the books. In the first category, I'm familiar with all of them.


Best Novel:

  • Caught by Harlan Coben
  • Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
  • Faithful Place by Tana French
  • The Queen of Patpong by Timothy Hallinan
  • The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton
  • I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

I've not read these though I'm familiar with all. I hope to heaven that Tim Hallinan wins. He just lost his publisher and is a terrific writer. The other authors in this category have already been acknowledged by awards, let's let this guy get some glory.


Best First Novel:

  • Rogue Island by Bruce DeSilva
  • The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron
  • The Serialist: A Novel by David Gordon
  • Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto
  • Snow Angels by James Thompson

I am vaguely familiar with a couple of these books from putting them in my newsletter. Read them? No.


Best Paperback Original:

  • Long Time Coming by Robert Goddard
  • The News Where You Are by Catherine O'Flynn
  • Expiration Date by Duane Swierczynski
  • Vienna Secrets by Frank Tallis
  • Ten Little Herrings by L.C. Tyler

Three out of five author's names are familiar, that's it. The other categories, I don't pay too much attention to, I know I'm bad. I like learning the nominees for best crime nonfiction and biography, I just never make time to read those sub-genres. Young adult fiction, I don't read. The plays and TV don't matter to me, really, I think these awards are about reading so why have them here?


The UK awards include an award to recognize historical crime fiction which I think the US should emulate but of course it is just overlooked. Bah. Lovers of historical crime fiction are in the minority here.


It is extremely windy this morning. I really don't want to be out in it to walk Tug so I'm putting it off as long as possible. I'm feeling better this morning after getting a bunch of sleep last night. I'll be doing the usual cleaning and working on the February issue today. Steve is off doing his shooting class. I'm thinking that a nap will be good later and not talking as much as I have to at work will definitely help.


I'm enjoying THE ORCHID AFFAIR so far. I just wrote a paragraph of a little snarkiness but erased it because I do like these books even though they are fluffy and romantic and predictable-ish. I'm in the mood for that when a new book in the series comes out. :) Yes, I have a crime fiction exterior but a marshmallow interior.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: