Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nyah!



I took the boys for a walk at 7:30 this morning. Then I went to Hobby Lobby a little after 10 (see in Current Events post why). It was rather busy. I decided that I probably wasn't really going to be able to make time for anything hobby-ish so I was looking at the decorative stuff. I do need a couple things for the living room. I got a small side table for next to the love seat so I can be on it and set a drink down on the side by the kitchen. Down the road I'd like to get something to put plants on as I get into herb growing. The big window in the living room faces south and would be great for that. Of course, there would be some juggling of space between that and the boys looking out that window. But I could make it work.

Then I went to the Christian bookstore again and splurged on a study bible. It's an "archeological study bible" -- those who know me and my love of history probably aren't very surprised at that. I WAS surprised at the price; they are very proud of that bible. But it is worth it and it is bound in leather and I do plan to make good use of it. Here's a description:

'Readers who desire a more intimate knowledge of the historical context of the Bible will appreciate the NIV Archaeological Study Bible. Full of informative articles and full-color photographs of places and objects from biblical times, this Bible examines the archaeological record surrounding God's Word and brings the biblical world to life. Readers' personal studies will be enriched as they become more informed about the empires, places, and peoples of the ancient world. Features include: * Four-color interior throughout * Bottom-of-page study notes exploring passages that speak on archaeological and cultural facts * Articles (520) covering five main categories: Archaeological Sites, Cultural and Historical Notes, Ancient Peoples and Lands, the Reliability of the Bible, and Ancient Texts and Artifacts * Approximately 500 4-color photographs interspersed throughout * Detailed book introductions that provide basic, at-a-glance information * Detailed charts on pertinent topics * In-text color maps that assist the reader in placing the action '

The book was wrapped inside the box; when I took the wrapping off the smell of leather was very strong. :) Why it took me so long to figure out that was the best one for me I won't know. It makes perfect sense now. And it is NIV which is is a completely original translation of the Bible developed by more than one hundred scholars working from the best available Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts. I wanted accuracy.

I then stopped by Albertsons for a couple items. Otherwise, I've got some laundry done but I have to make the bed now. I don't think there's time for a nap now, bother.

We didn't do Jakes last night for dinner but may do so tonight.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: