Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beef -- it's whats for dinner...

....for the rest of our lives. Steve brought home our half of beef -- mostly in the form of hamburger and cube steaks -- we are now stuffed to the gills with beef. How stuffed? We always try to buy something from the kids who come around the house selling for whatever organization they're with (mostly because I remember how horrible it was to do when I had to do it) and our neighbor girl dropped off three pizzas this morning, of course --- and I have no room to put them away in our two freezers. Nada. We're going to have to get a deep freeze, no question now, and today would not be soon enough. Steve has never really liked roasts or steaks so much of this is hamburger. I've a rotation of hamburger recipes that I've discovered over the years that Steve likes. I'm going to have to go in search of more because I'm drowning in hamburger right now. Two recipes I'd like to try soon are Shepherd's Pie (yes, I know I know I've just not made it yet) and a good one for Irish Stew. Steve normally doesn't like stew (what DOES he like? Not roasts, not ham, not tomatoes, not onions, etc., etc. -- do you see my dilemna?) but this one sounds good.

So other than that....

I finished DREAMING OF THE BONES by Deborah Crombie this morning. It was an enjoyable Brit procedural with the added bonus of having one my favorite elements, a cold case. The question I have about this series is that Kincaid and Gemma are partners (he's the Scotland Yard Superintendent and she's his sergeant) but they're romantically involved now so wouldn't that mean that they can't work together anymore and how can they hide this relationship from their fellow Yarders?

Next up, I'll be starting Peter Robinson's newest, ALL THE COLORS OF DARKNESS. This is 18th of 18 in series featuring Alan Banks, Eastvale detective chief inspector, in Yorkshire, England. Here's a description:

When the body of a man is discovered hanging from a tree in the woods near Eastvale, all signs point toward suicide. At least that's what it initially looks like to Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot. The man is soon identified as Mark Hardcastle, the set and costume designer for the local amateur theater company. Mark was successful and well liked in the community, but enough remains mysterious about his background that suicide isn't completely out of the question. But when Mark's older and wealthier lover is discovered bludgeoned to death in his home, Annie begins to think differently. Could it have been a crime of passion, or did overwhelming grief lead to a man taking his own life? Increasingly confounded, she calls in the vacationing Chief Inspector Alan Banks—even if it means prying him away from his new girlfriend. Once on the investigation, Banks finds himself plunged into a case where nothing is as it seems. More and more his own words about the victim's latest production, Othello, are coming back to haunt him, for "jealousy, betrayal, envy, ambition, greed, lust, revenge—all the colors of darkness" are quickly becoming his world as well.

The author's website can be found at http://www.inspectorbanks.com/. This book was published in the UK in 2008 and 2009 in the US. It has 368 pages of wonderful Brit police procedural. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm noticing a pattern in my reading this month. Historicals for a bit and now a series of Brit procedurals. I'm such a mood reader.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day continues to honor the Academy Awards (it's tomorrow!). More behind the scenes snippets can be found at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/season/, Notes on a Season.

Not sure what else will be happening today. There was a shooting tournament in Bozeman that Steve elected not to go to (yay!). I could run some errands that I didn't get to yesterday -- groceries, post office, etc., but maybe I'll do that after lunch. Not much going on tonight as well, nothing really grabbing me for tv so maybe I'll get in some reading time.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: