Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Playdate with Mom

Mom and I went book shopping this morning at Barnes & Noble. Being a chain store, the selection doesn't necessarily carry our level of expertise in mystery fiction, but my main objective was to pick up the new JD Robb, PROMISES IN DEATH. So we scanned the shelves for a bit and then we sat down to assess our choices to see which would make the final cut. She got five (one of which was for Dad) and I got four.

I got:

PROMISES IN DEATH by JD Robb (yay!)
DROOD by Dan Simmons (always loved the Drood story and this one honkin' big book)
CRUSADE by Robyn Young (2nd in series)
WITCH WAY TO MURDER by Shirley Damsgaard (for a bit of fluff)
Annie Lennox CD

Then we had lunch at Red Robin. We shared a bowl of French onion soup as an appetizer (since the day was being cloudy/windy) for which we had to wait and wait and wait and then it showed up followed two minutes later by our main meal. Typical restaurant action. We both had monster salads. All in all, it was quite lovely.

When I got back, SILENT ON THE MOOR by Deanna Raybourn was waiting for me from Amazon. Hazzah! So I walked Tug since it was that time.

I had played with Emmitt while waiting for Mom and then rubbed my eye at one point so my eyes -- now being very sensitive since last summer -- started to turn red and itchy. Luckily I had some drops in my bag which took care of the immediate problem. When I got home I took a Zyrtec which is making me a little sleepy. I may have to take a quick nap instead of jumping into my books immediately.

I'll have time to read tonight since there's nothing much on tv and I'm NOT watching the President. I think I'll start with the Robb though the Raybourn is calling to me strongly.

The shepherd's pie recipe I tried last night was not a good one; back to the drawing board for that dish. It's a good concept, I just have to find the right one.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Devourer of Books found at http://www.devourerofbooks.com/.

Yup, Zyrtec is taking over for a bit so I'll sign off here. Talk to you tomorrow about the Robb.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: