Saturday, February 7, 2009

Games People Play

Just. walk. away. For the past half hour (I hope) I've been hooked on playing Poppit on a free game site called Pogo. One pops balloons to score points. It has the psychological pleasure of bubble wrap combined with winning. It's brilliant. Except what is the point of this game except to waste time? It is the black hole of the Internet but we love them. So Today's Blog/Website of the Day is http://www.pogo.com. Go at your own peril!!!

Another game site I sometimes spend time on is the jigsaw puzzle at http://zone.msn.com/en/jigsaw/default.htm. I normally don't like such frustrating ones but the pieces are in the right position, that is, you can have it so they are right side up for how they fit in the overall picture.

Of course I like to play mahjongg in most forms and Bejeweled. Bookworm amuses me for a while. Blackjack is an easy time killer. I learned how to play Hearts from a lawyer for which I used to work (what does THAT say about how busy she was?).

Happy Neuron is a site for brain teasers http://www.happy-neuron.com/ because you know you have to exercise your brain as well as your body.

I'm very surprised that I like to play sudoku. I have it as a gadget on my igoogle page. To me, I can follow the logic of them to fill in the squares.

There are tons of free gaming sites out there but another one I have bookmarked is Shockwave http://www.shockwave.com/home.jsp.

I absolutely hate crossword puzzles because they make me feel stupid. I actually wish I had the patience to play video or pc games. I long to play role playing games like Final Fantasy. Or even side-scrollers or puzzle games but I have this built in fear of failure. The key to playing these games is to have the mind set of trying out solutions and if they don't work then you try another and another... I don't like doing the wrong thing in these games or having to start over again and again. Steve has infinite patience in those games and he's been doing them for as long as he's been breathing ... okay, not that long because they weren't really invented until we were in high school but for most of his life.

When I managed Software Etc. I could talk the talk. I knew what gamers wanted to hear and I knew how to pitch systems to different buyer types. I even owned the systems and some games. I just never really played them that much. I have to say, though, that I could kick Steve's butt on Tekken. Ha! Loved that game. But then, my nephew schooled me on it later so my system of just hitting buttons faster and not really learning the combos wasn't very effective.

When I was in grade school, for a while I was into chess and joined some kind of competition. I don't know why.... I don't really do strategies; I'm more of a scream-and-leap personality. And I mainly use games as time fillers and brain numb-ers. I have to be able to start and walk away whenever I want. I lack commitment in games. I admit it. And such time consuming hours could be put to better use with a book or hours and hours on the Internet.

Have fun today, it's Saturday!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: