Sunday, February 22, 2009

The night belongs to Oscar

My dance card is getting filled up for the week. On Monday, I'm having lunch with JodyO. We had a bet back in November about the outcome of a certain event and I lost so I've owed her a lunch but circumstances didn't allow until now. She's having a string of non-day-off work days so I thought I'd take her away for an hour. I need to run a couple errands downtown so that will be a nice way to multitask. On Tuesday, I'm taking mom to a bookstore and then we're having lunch. An author we both like has a book released on that day -- the kind of author that you just have to get the first day its released, you know what I mean. Both days just sound lovely.

Stayed up late last night and finished the Robinson. Very good procedural. The main character, DCI Alan Banks, just has no luck in his personal life. Most cops don't. With the Robb being purchased on Tuesday, I need to find something now to occupy me for a day and a half. I'll have to scan the library books or start the Larsson.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day finishes the Academy Awards theme. Today's the day. The Spirit Awards were last night (I didn't watch, I was reading) and there were some interesting wins that make me wonder about the "shoe-ins" for the Oscar. Anyway, Academy Award coverage can be found at http://movies.msn.com/oscars/ or the official site at http://www.oscar.com/. Lots of fashion and preshow stuff but I'm not that interested (I imagine they're all already getting ready and the stylists are busy busy busy).

My predictions:

I'm pretty sure Slumdog Millionaire will win best picture unless there is a movement that thinks it's not an "Academy quality" picture (I've read some rumors along that line). The Reader has an outside chance because it's about the Holocaust and Holocaust stories usually trump anything else.

Director -- probably stay in line with picture and be Slumdog Millionaire. Frost/Nixon is a dark horse if the Academy doesn't want to give Slumdog too much credit.

I hope that Sean Penn doesn't win -- I just don't like the Chavez-loving guy -- but the Academy loves bio-pics and gay characters. I would like Frank Langella to get it, but probably won't happen because it's about a Republican president. Brad Pitt still has the pretty boy stigma and won't be seriously considered for awards until he's 60. I heard that Richard Jenkins did a tremendous job in The Visitor but it's too not-well known. Mickey Rourke is the dark horse here.

I hope Meryl Streep doesn't win -- does she have to nominated for every movie she's in? Thank god she had something other than Mama Mia this year. She's a terrific actress but it's getting over done. Anne Hathaway did a standout job but it's her first nomination so she won't get it, but she's got the Academy's attention now so look for her in the future. Melissa Leo should get it but she's not glamorous enough; she's an indy actress. Angelina Jolie just fills out the ticket. I think it's Kate Winslet's year.

I think Heath Ledger is a shoe-in for supporting actor because he's dead and people feel bad about it and there's no other tribute really to The Dark Knight's success. Robert Downey, Jr. has had a great year and it would be fun if he won, but no, not this year. Everyone other than Ledger are just fillers.

Supporting actress -- I think it will go to Penelope Cruz. The two Doubt actresses will cancel each other out. Marisa Tormei is the dark horse here.

The rest: Wall-E is the shoe-in for animated feature. Man on a Wire is widely touted to be best documentary. Costume -- will go to the only real costume drama, The Duchess. The art , makeup and cinematography stuff with go to Benjamin Button. Editing -- The Dark Knight because there's not much else it's up for and maybe sound categories though I'd like Iron Man to get one of them because it was a cool movie. :) Adapted screenplay -- a tossup between Doubt as a consolation prize or The Reader. Original screenplay will be either Milk for it's gay-ness (Proposition 8 and libs are mad so they strike back) or In Bruges which got good reviews but no other nominations.

Shorts and foreign categories, I've never paid attention to. So we'll see how it goes. I'll probably watch upstairs so I can control the clicker. As I mentioned before, I hate the acceptance speeches. A really great Academy Award show would be just announcements of the category and then the winner. Okay, Hugh Jackman will be REALLY nice to look at tonight.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: