Monday, February 23, 2009

No time for Mondays

Running a bit late today. Kona was back at 5 am so my day got all off kilter. Had a great lunch with JodyO at the Brew Pub (mmmmm, reuben sandwich). Walked Tug then ran to the post office and groceries.

I haven't committed to anything to read yet. I watched tv last night and Monday night is our packed full night of tv viewing so not much time to read anyway. I'll be going to the bookstore tomorrow with Mom so I anticipate my next read will be PROMISES IN DEATH by JD Robb. More on that at the appropriate time.

Last night tv: the Oscars. Quick impressions. I like the new thing with five of the previous winners of the acting categories presenting to each of the five nominees. Very classy. Hugh Jackman is nice to look at but the song and dance numbers could have been cut. BTW, I don't think anyone really got the one with Beyonce. All the reviews I've read have called it a medley but it was supposed to be a sort of dialogue/story telling of romance in song. Sheesh, people. I hate that Penn won. I thought Kate Winslet was endearing, especially when she had her dad whistle to let her know where her parents were. By the end of the broadcast, they were just slogging through. I can't imagine what a long ordeal it must be for everyone.

Tv tonight: The Closer or Chuck, or Jon & Kate Plus 8 are getting puppies, then Paranormal State, and maybe if I remember it, No Reservations. I saw previews for an interesting show, was it Castle (?), that of course is being scheduled for Mondays. Can they please put something on Tuesdays and spread it out a bit?

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday. Today's Blog/Website of the Day is the official website for this year's celebration at http://www.mardigrasday.com/. I've never been and I don't think it's very much fun now, having been "spring break-ed" into a drunken party of young people showing their tits and throwing beads. I think the true magic of the event has gone. Mardi Gras first began in the Middle Ages as a celebration of the lifting of many Roman Catholic practices. So in essence, it was a religious celebration. Fat Tuesday gets its name because a fattened ox used to be paraded through town on that day. I've always seen it associated with Lent; Fat Tuesday’s revelry -- the last chance to party for a while -- because it will be followed by a religious tradition that’s a lot more solemn: the Lenten season beginning with Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras isn't such a big thing here, mostly I think because Catholicism isn't the majority like it is in Butte. The Scandinavians party on the inside. :)

I'm going to attempt a recipe for Shepherd's Pie tonight. There's lots of versions of this dish, of course, but this is basically hamburger and potatoes so I'm thinking Steve will like it. I got ingredients to try Irish Beef Stew this week. That recipe includes things like leeks, mushrooms, Guiness beer, carrots, bacon, etc. The picture looks good.

Well, I hear Himself is home so I'll sign off.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: