Thursday, January 29, 2009

Christie and Lincoln

I didn't have long to wait to find out why Lincoln changed his views on slavery in TEAM OF RIVALS. A couple pages later: The Kansas-Nebraska Act. The South prevailed and got that act passed which wiped out a previous Act that was to keep slavery out of any newly acquired territories.

Steve came home this morning from work not feeling well. He's slept a couple times and is better. I'd like him to take tomorrow off just to get some extra rest. He always puts in long hours, being a family business.

Waiting on some holds to shake loose from the library (tapping fingers impatiently). Looking at them on the library's website, they've been moved through the system except for getting to the person on hold (me).

Kona was whining on the front door again at 4am. Though I vowed the last time not to do anything since he's not our dog, I got up and took him home. Must remain stronger if it happens again in the morning -- try to ignore him. I don't understand why he can't get himself the complete way back when he's been out roaming. He knows the way and it would take five minutes more. (sigh).

Current events: Gov. Blagojevich was impeached this afternoon. I watched his "defense"and wasn't impressed. Didn't address what he was being impeached for and was an organized ramble. An article in the local paper says the three area refineries may strike -- how stupid in this type of economic situation. Amazon.com's fourth quarter profits went up 9% (this is good news -- remember the days when they were potentially not going to make it? Dark days indeed. This source of books is an addict's lifeblood).

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is for Agatha Christie: http://uk.agathachristie.com/. What I find the most resourceful on this site is the reading order link. Yes, she wrote gabillions but one can have a plan. Christie is what put me on the path of a lifelong love of mysteries. Yes, when I was young I read the usual: The Hardy Boys (preferable over Nancy Drew though I read those, too), Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, Encyclopedia Brown, and other books like Lloyd Alexander's wonderful Prydain Chronicles and classics like Little Women, etc., etc. I started reading Gothic romances quite young (5th grade) by sneaking them out of Mom's book stash. In junior high I discovered Dune by Frank Herbert and the world of SFF was opened. But it was while babysitting and looking through the family's bookshelves looking for something -- anything -- to read one night that I started Christie's CURTAIN featuring Hercule Poirot. Actually, this was the last book to star Poirot so I pretty much started at the end. And that was that. Crime fiction is my first choice in reading anything. Christie has been somewhat maligned at times for not having as much depth as others but she is the puzzle master. Wouldn't it have been great to have discussions with her? I have to confess that I have yet to read a Miss Marple because I've always perferred Hercule. I should at least give the lady a try someday. My favorite Christie movie is Death on the Nile with Peter Ustinov and a cast of wonderful characters. I stage managed Ten Little Indians during a summer rep where I learned how to tie a hangman's noose for the show and cringed every performance because the actor playing the villain had a very long speach at the end where he confesses all and Gerry had a terrible memory even then and it was a LONG scene. I think the works of Agatha Christie are appropriate for all ages -- young readers who are just learning to love mysteries and older readers who don't want to have so much darkness and violence. The website listed above has a blog by Christie's grandson so isn't that cool? I have quite a few of hers in my TBR shelves I should get to.

Nothing much on tv tonight, I think, other than The First 48. I finished Veronica Mars last night. (sigh) The good news is that there is potentially a movie in the works (hey, it worked for Firefly). I've vowed to check out other quirky-by-reputation tv shows that I haven't taken the time to notice. First up is Wonderfalls. Here's a brief description:

Jaye (Caroline Dhavernas) is a graduate of Brown University who's opted not to put her education to work, and instead lives in a trailer and works at a tourist shop in Niagara Falls, to the consternation of her affluent, successful family. All seems to be going well for this self-proclaimed slacker, until one day a small toy lion speaks to her in enigmatic epigrams, commanding her to help people. Loath to deal in any compassionate way with the rest of humanity, Jaye warily obeys, if only to make the voices stop. Soon, though, she finds herself to be an unwilling humanitarian and accidental hero when more inanimate objects start talking to her, and more people turn out to need her help.

Wish me luck.

I know it's only January, but it is getting noticeably not as dark in the mornings and staying a little lighter in the evenings. Hope springs (don't say that) eternal.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: