Saturday, January 31, 2009

In which I amaze all and blog on a Saturday

Look! It's Saturday! And I'm blogging! (patting myself on the head)

So, yes, the library bent to my will and I have much-awaited books in my clutches. First up and jumping the queue of the Lincoln nonfiction is a bit of fluff. Sometimes you have to indulge in fluff in order to appreciate the more serious stuff. No really. It's not mine. I'm just palette cleansing. I don't even like it. Oh, nevermind. Even the title is fluffy: THE TEMPTATION OF THE NIGHT JASMINE by Lauren Willig. This is fifth of five in the Pink Carnation series. The basic premise of the series follows (steals) from the Scarlet Pimpernel-type story though set in the early 1800s and the war with France/Napoleon. The books are framed by the contemporary story of a grad student trying to discover the secret identity of the Pink Carnation and other flower-named spies for her thesis and in the meantime, she falls in love with some Darcy-like (aren't they all? And don't we all wish we had one?) Englishman whose family is in possession of the papers/journals she's studying. Anyway, silly but fun to read. Here's a description of the current tome:

After twelve years in India, Robert, duke of Dovedale, returns to his estate in England to avenge the murder of his mentor during the 1803 Battle of Assaye. Robert plans to infiltrate the infamous, secretive Hellfire Club to uncover the murderer’s identity— but he has no idea that an even more difficult challenge awaits him—one Lady Charlotte Lansdowne.Having cherished a romanticized view of Robert since childhood, Charlotte is thrilled by his return. To Charlotte, Robert is all the knights of the Round Table rolled into one. That’s not exactly the case, but she can’t help but search for the man she loves inside this less-than-pristine package. And while Robert works to dissuade Charlotte from her delusions, he can’t help but be drawn to her innocence and inner beauty. When Charlotte is approached by Lady Henrietta Selwick to join her in a bit of espionage—investigating a plot to kidnap the king—Robert soon realizes that Charlotte is not only the perfect partner in crime; she’s the perfect partner, period. Caught in a dangerous game with deadly flower-named spies and secret members of the Hellfire Club, Robert and Charlotte must work together to reveal the villain.

Lighthearted and romantic and a quick read. Perfect for a weekend. Actually, I'm halfway done. Yeah, yeah, I read fast and this isn't exactly War and Peace. Interestingly, as I'm looking up her website, it claims she is a historical romance writer -- which this could most definitely be listed as -- but I've typically seen it more in the mystery section. Well, it is both I suppose. Anyway, her official website can be found at http://www.laurenwillig.com/.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is one I check out daily: The Old Faithful Webcam can be found at http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm. There's a link near the top that takes you to the live streaming feed. Sometimes they move the camera around and you can watch buffalo passing through or a geyser off to the side, etc. It is amusing to watch the tourists standing around waiting for the next event and (in winter) hustling away as quickly as possible before it's completely done because it's probably too fricking cold to standing around so let's go back to Inn and have some hot chocolate fergoshsake.

I can't convey in words how much I love jumping around web space. I find the most coolest of things (yes, I know that's not grammatically correct). Today: new blogs to add to my favorites, discovering the existance of steampunk London stories, a re-reading of The Wheel of Time blog (too bad that author self-destructed story-wise and along with the self-destruction of Martin made me stop loving SFF but that's a whole other rant) and more. Isn't the Internet just the best. thing. ever?

Okay, I'm spent. Go amuse yourselves and have a great Saturday. See ya tomorrow and all things Superbowl.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: