Thursday, January 8, 2009

MOSCOW RULES/BOD/Guilty Pleasures

I started MOSCOW RULES by Daniel Silva last night; actually just a few pages in so I don't have an opinion on it yet. But I don't want to leave you empty handed so.... The author's official website can be found at http://www.danielsilvabooks.com/content/index.asp. Among other information, it talks about his next book, THE DEFECTOR, being released on July 21st of this year. On his publisher's website, there is an interesting interview with him from around the release of his previous book which can be found here: http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Author/AuthorPage/0,,1000038377,00.html?sym=QUE. The last couple books I've read in this series were audiobooks so it is actually a little strange to see the words again and try to know how to pronounce some of the unfamiliar terms (foreign names, places, etc.) in my head.

Blog/Website of the day is kind of interesting: http://bookwormscarnival.wordpress.com/, The Bookworms' Carnival. Their own description states, "The aim of the Bookworms Carnival is to build the community of book bloggers. You don’t have to have a books blog to participate, though; bloggers are welcome to submit any post relevant to the current theme from any blog.The Bookworms Carnival is held twice a month." The most recent one is called "Guilty Pleasures."

Guilty Pleasures is an interesting concept. It's a phrase used in to denote things (e. g. pop music, novels, films, television shows, books, food) that one really likes but often finds too embarrassing to admit to. I used to say JD Robb was a guilty pleasure but why? I'm happy to say I read this great series. I could say that the occasional read of a romance novel is a guilty pleasure by why? Reading ANYTHING should be a pleasure straight up and shout it out to the world that literature of any sort isn't dead; yes people still read and want more. The type should have nothing to do with it. Julia Child is known whenever she was asked what her guilty pleasures were, she responded: "I don't have any guilt." Guilt is suggested why? Guilty because someone caught us or found out that we enjoy something that isn't "approved?" By whom? Let's get past the thought that someone is watching us and saying yea or nay to what one likes. Life is hard enough day after day without adding these invisible judges. Unless you're breaking the law -- legally or morally -- then enjoy while you can. Sheesh.

Otherwise, today I applied for another job so we'll see. I called the job service about the web manager job and was told the chick who handled it was on the phone and will call back (2nd time). Still waiting. I'm getting not hopeful about this one. (sigh).




So a big "Blech" on the day (like this poor cat). Gotta go do some more reading research on the Internet. Catch ya tomorrow.

UPDATE: Finally got a call back from the job service: they don't HAVE my resume and cover letter that I sent in early December for this job. Fricking typical. I re-sent them. That makes me so damn mad.

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: