Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Why do I always miss Saturdays?

I have had a little bit of a reprieve. I had to take a class last fall -- one I had missed in my MNM -- and applied for financial aid. Didn't hear anything until two days ago (I thought I was turned down and facing a large bill from Regis) but I did get it and other than the inconvenience of having to take a class this spring, I will have some left over so there's a cushion for a bit. So I can take a little more time in finding the right job instead of the panic I was feeling this past week.

Speaking of jobs, one listing in today's paper worth applying for: at the library. Pays a little better than their last listing a couple months ago. Downside is the evenings and weekends being out of my control. But I applied.

Football is happening. We're hoping for an Arizona/Pittsburgh Superbowl.

Finished THE MESSENGER by Jan Burke. It had a good setup but the ending seemed to be lacking something. Yes, one knew how it was going to turn out but the execution was too comic book or didn't try so hard to be unique... something. I like woo woo and sometimes a touch of romance so those things weren't a problem for me. Overall, if she turned this into a series, I would read the next one. Her website can be found at http://www.janburke.com/ and includes a blog. You can read the first chapter of this book on her publisher's website at http://books.simonandschuster.com/Messenger/Jan-Burke/9780743273879 -- the link for it is on the left.

Now I'm back to HANGMAN BLIND by Cassandra Clark. Now that I have been able to devote more time to it, the story has picked up for me by being more politically involved in the era it's based but a strange plot event has happened and even though the protagonist thinks the plot event isn't going to work, she goes along with it. Hmmm.

Blog/Website of the Day is one that many crime fiction afficionados know about but it is well worth repeating for them and if you don't know about it, now's the time: Karen Meek's fabulous Eurocrime found at http://eurocrime.blogspot.com/. This is her blog but her website is there as well; a great resource for all things Euro and crime fiction by posting reviews, new releases and just fine information.

Last night we had dinner at Outback with Steve's parents as a thank you for Steve helping with the Christmas parade. This is the second time in two visits that we've had really bad service there so I'm guessing that's the last time we'll go there for a long while.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be going with Steve for his doctor's appointment for his regular diabetes checkup. At noon I'll be having an informal meeting with Robyn and then at 3 I want to check out the new Glenn Beck tv show.

Not much else going on.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Wow PK. Many thanks for the "blog of the day" selection. I'm chuffed. I hope you get the library job. Best job in the world. I don't regret at all changing from "quasi-scientist" to "library assistant" a few years ago.