Thursday, January 15, 2009

If I only had a brain...

I wish my brain weren't made of Swiss cheese. I have learned many things over the years and I can't make use of them. For instance, my MBA. I learned a lot of accounting, stats, economics, etc. but it is as if a black hole ate my brain. I'm sure there is a very scientific explanation for this phenomena -- perhaps I was only accessing short term memory when I learned it therefore it was just that: short term. But it is in my brain somewhere. We would be so powerful if we could access more of our brains. What is it, 4% of the brain is what we use? Criminy, what a lot of wasted resource and space. I've been pretty good with remembering book titles and authors and ever synopsi (is that a word?) but things I really want to use and could get me a job this month -- like accounting or something useful -- I can't have.


Yeah, speaking of which, I got another letter saying, "...despite your impressive education and experience, we've gone with another candidate who better suits our presents but we always have openings so please keep checking our website....." blah blah blah. This is getting ridiculous. I may just crack and become a very cynical person.



Not getting much reading done but still working on HANGMAN BLIND by Cassandra Clark though I will have to set it aside soon for a 14-day book I need to pick up at the library -- THE MESSENGER by Jan Burke.



Finished watching the movie Definitely,Maybe last night. Cute little movie about ... well, what is it about. I was going to try to describe it but Amazon does it better:




A romantic comedy that begins with a discussion about sex education and ends with a bit of an unexpected twist, Definitely, Maybe focuses on an engaging father and his 10-year-old daughter. She is curious about the women her dad loved prior to marrying (and separating from) her mother. Instead of telling her, "None of your business," he decides to tell her about them... Sort of. Will is played by Ryan Reynolds and his precocious daughter Maya is adroitly portrayed by Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine). Will figures out a way to tell Maya about his most meaningful relationships in a PG manner that also is interactive for her (Or as she describes it, "a love story mystery!"). Changing a few of their characteristics and disguising their names, Will tells her about three exceptional women and Maya tries to deduce which one became her mom. Was it Emily (Elizabeth Banks), the wholesome Midwestern girl afraid of the big city; Summer (Rachel Weisz), the exotic journalist; or April (Isla Fisher), the quirky copy girl? Hearing about all these women, Maya asks, "What's the boy word for slut?" Spanning 15 years, back to when Will was an idealistic young man with the hopes of one day becoming president of the United States -- and winds
up in advertising, the film has a nice light touch and deals with father-daughter bonding issues in a unique, if not completely realistic manner.

Not a bad guy in the bunch and kinda funny and nice. A nice change sometimes. Ryan Reynolds has done some silly comedies but he's grown up into more mature roles and has a nice "everyman" or "just a guy" quality that translates well on the screen. Next up is re-living my high school years with Robin Hood. Oh, how I loved that show -- it was on Showtime in the early 80s -- starring Michael Praed as Robin and a pretty redhead as Marion and Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet. "You are like a May morning" is still in my ears and oh how I cried and mourned when Robin was killed after that first season (the actor moved on to a better gig in the theatre I heard) and was replaced some blond ucky guy. Ah, being a teen.



I came across this "poster" this morning on the Weekly Standard website. I like it; it's funny. Steve wants one.

On that note...

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: