Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Running out of January

Ah man, I am SO trying to get out of walking Tug today but I don't think he'll buy it. It's 17 degrees out there which wouldn't be too bad except the wind is 27-33 mph. I don't wanna go out there (boohoo). I don't think he'll let me off the hook though. He's looking at me in that way that dogs do to try to do that Jedi mind trick magic. Steve suggests that I put him in the back yard for an hour to see if that will change his mind. I don't think it would actually; this is his kind of perfect weather. (sigh)

So last night I watched the season premiere of The Closer, always a must see. I do wish they would pay more attention, however, to the solving of crimes like they used to than to Brenda's personal life. It started last season and it looks like they're continueing this trend; it makes me not happy. Then we watched the new episode of Paranormal State. Enjoyable in an unsatisfactory sort of way in that they don't really conclude much in a half hour. But what can you expect from television anymore? That's why I turned to the oldies but goodies like MI-5, Veronica Mars, and the The Wire. Yay Netflix. In fact, that's what I'm watching today: Veronica Mars Season Three. That show deserved more than three seasons. Good stuff. I still have to view Brideshead Revisited. I don't want to hang on to that too long but sometimes you have to be in the right mood for a movie like that.

Still working on TEAM OF RIVALS by Goodwin. I'm at the wopping 128 page mark. I'm not setting any landspeed records on this one I can tell you but I am learning something as well as enjoying what I'm learning so I'm not beating myself up too much about it. I believe I'm in chapter four. The story thus far: we're following four men -- Lincoln, Seward, Bates and Chase -- on how they came together in 1860 to vie for the nomination for President. In the first three chapters we have followed each of the men in how they were raised (some rather priveleged and Lincoln rather destitute), their schooling, beginning of their careers, and pull to politics. The difficult thing for me is to envision Lincoln as a young man and not just a younger person with that older craggy and sad face. He apparently was an amazing storyteller and drew fellows to him easily and very loyally.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is the Scandanavian Crime blog found at http://scandinaviancrimefiction.wordpress.com/. I think Barbara Fister (Barfly) is running it. Good links are also available to further expand your international crime reading. But, IMHO and not just because I'm half Norwegian, Scandanavian crime fiction has been leading the way in translated good mysteries.

Let's see, I promised more current events. Author John Updike has passed away. I don't think I've ever read his works nor do I feel compelled to read any now. Just not my thang. Blago's impeachment trial continues. Consumer confidence has hit a new low. A woman gave birth to octuplets when they were expecting seven and the report said it wasn't known yet if she was taking fertility enhancements -- no really? It is believed to be only the second of surviving sets. Which reminds me: having managed a children's photo studio in the past I have come across some really terrible names with which parents torture their offspring. Why they do it, I don't know, other than they think it's clever. I saw the absolute worst a couple days ago. Ready? Abcde. Yes, the alphabet, isn't that clever? But do you know how to pronounce it? It's like rhapsody without the "r". absody. Abcde. They should be shot.

As I mentioned in another post, I signed up to receive press releases and other notifications from some government departments so I can keep abreast of things. I must say that the State department is on the ball and quite prolific. The White House still pretty much as fluff up on their website. Still no transcripts from press briefings. That was a daily occurance in the previous administration from the beginning. Controlling? Hiding?

Dinner has been cooking in the crockpot since this morning. The house smells very good. Mmmmm.

I've got a few more articles and email to read before playtime so I'll check in tomorrow.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi, Bookee - and thanks for the shout-out for my Scandinavian blog. Yeah, that's me when I should be working. (Actually, I put the website together and started the blog last summer with a small grant from my college, which is kinda like working.)

We really are running out of January, aren't we?