Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving! I hate that people call it Turkey Day when it is to be a day of recognizing that we have much for which to be thankful. And for the real history of the event follow this link: http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1423.

Much to do today. We're not having dinner at my house this year (I've only hosted a couple times) but we have to be at my parents by about 12 which gives me about 3-4 hours. Between now and then, I need to make a corn bread/pudding thingy, walk Tug, and I should go to the grocery store (yes, sadly but conveniently, one is open).


I haven't chosen a book to read yet. Perhaps I am overwhelmed by the possibilities. What am I in the mood for? What will satisfy? I kind of run the options over in my brain, poking at them to see if something in my mood-ometer has an aha! moment. So far the systems seem to be in a state of scramble-ment and I can't make a choice.


I did go through a couple of my bookcases and pulled out a boxful of books that I've decided I won't be reading, ever. Time to clean things out again I'm thinking. The second Great Purge. The first one was in early 2009 when I was unemployed and decided to alphabetize all hundreds of my books (THAT was a project). It's funny how one's tastes in books change over time. In the First Purge I was brutal, I thought, in deciding what stayed and what goes and got rid of a couple hundred books. I looked at each book and asked myself: would I really ever read that book? The ones that stayed, I truly thought I would. Now, in the Second Purge, the same question is asked and what made the first cut is sometimes not making the second. True, in the almost two years, I've added more books and I still have hundreds of books that I haven't read yet but I mean to. I guess I'm just refining what I would make time for and what I wouldn't. Some so-so PIs and legal eagle stuff is now going. The books that stay are my beloved historical mysteries and what I'm calling "new classic" crime fiction authors like Block, Dexter, Grafton, Hill, Fyfield, Lathem, James, Rendell, Robinson, Robb, etc. and the classics like Rex Stout, the Perry Masons, Christie, Marsh, Tey, Sayers, etc.


Later this afternoon, more football on tv when my Cowboys will lose to the Saints. Since we won't have the leftovers, I'm not sure what to do for dinner except snackage but I don't have much on hand right now hence the need to go to the grocery store.


It is still absolutely cold out today though the high is supposed to get to the teens but the wind is nasty so windchill temps are in the negatives. I think I'll take Tug out the field again: shorter walk but more bang for the buck.


Thanksgiving: I am thankful for so much -- my friends/family, home, employment, health and faculties, freedoms, and the chance to pursue my happiness.


Okay, better get cracking....


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: