Monday, November 29, 2010

Of Mondays


Oy I had a Monday. The afternoon was just filled with yuckiness in talking to people. A Worker's Comp person who wouldn't verify information regarding a claimant's WC claim because she didn't know who I was ... she had called me back *after I left a message for her and I answered as Unemployment Insurance*... who did she think I was? And a claimant who was supposed to respond by a certain date, didn't, and is now disqualified until he answers. I explained it to him, again and again. And then his wife called me ... to whom I can't talk because she's not the claimant nor set up as an agent for him. And just all kinds of calls while in the middle of trying to finish up the previous call and paperwork. So I was ready to be done for the day.


Well, we got 10 inches of snow yesterday -- on top of the seven or so that was already there from the previous weekend. The main roads were plowed which was nice but the side roads weren't. For TODAY ONLY, I was glad to have Moby. My job is in one of those side road areas and we had much to look at out the windows throughout the day as people in cars just couldn't make it through the muck. My lovely neighbor has plowed our street and our driveway on his 4-wheeler with a snow blade on it. We love him; each year we give him a gift to say thank you and to encourage him to keep doing it.


I think I've made a choice in my reading. I think the winner is .... THE BONES OF AVALON by Phil Rickman. This is a UK book; it will be released in the US next Spring. It is a stand alone novel (so far). Here is a description:




It is 1560, and Elizabeth Tudor has been on the throne for a year. Dr John Dee, at 32 already acclaimed throughout Europe, is her astrologer and consultant in the hidden arts...a controversial appointment in these days of superstition and religious strife. Now the mild, bookish Dee has been sent to Glastonbury to find the missing bones of King Arthur, whose legacy was always so important to the Tudor line. With him - hardly the safest companion - is his friend and former student, Robert Dudley, a risk-taker, a wild card...and possibly the Queen's secret lover. The famously mystical town is still mourning the gruesome execution of its Abbot, Richard Whiting. But why was the Abbot really killed? What is the secret held by the monks since the Abbey was founded by Joseph of Arimathea, uncle of Christ and guardian of the Holy Grail? The mission takes Dee to the tangled roots of English magic, into unexpected violence, necromantic darkness, the breathless stirring of first love...and the cold heart of a complex plot against Elizabeth.

It was published in October and has 480 pages. You can see why it's a PK book, eh?


But I'm also drawn to some nonfiction as well. I'm reading a sample on the Kindle for a book about the history of money and another about an overlooked Founding Father who was the money man of the Revolution (not Hamilton). I love stuff like that.


On TV, I have, perhaps, Lie To Me (Tim Roth!). If I watch. With the travel conditions I'm leaving for work that much earlier so the alarm in the morning is that much earlier. I'm thinking this may be the last week of serious overtime for me for a while. I just can't find time to work out and I must make that a priority so something had to give.


Steve is going to be late coming home from work tonight. He's stopping off at a gun buddy's house so I may not see him for a looooonnnnng time but at least he called to let me know this time. :) He may bring home dinner (as his punishment) so who knows when that will be?


In the meantime, it is CyberMonday and I won't be making purchases (payday Wednesday) but I could do some window shopping, looking online for some ideas.


Thanks for visiting....


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: