Saturday, March 26, 2011


I'm not being gung ho today but I do have a lot to do.

I signed up for an adult ed "class" that meets on Thursday evenings for eight weeks, entitled Writing (& Selling) Creative Nonfiction. I put that in quotes because at my first one I released that it really seemed to be more like a critique group. In short, we can apparently write anything. In fact, one member is writing a book and will be continuing it. Four of the six students have followed this teaching leader from class to class and just meet, as I suggested, as a critique group. And I'm not being mean when I say that these people are straight out of central casting. The teaching leader is an unorganized absent-minded professor-type whose speech meanders and leaps to the point that one wonders what the heck he's talking about and ohmygod will these two hours ever be over? The four regulars include three older men and a woman. If you have a picture in your mind of people who think they can and want to write but really probably can't but really want to have that audience....this is they.

In this class, we have to read something we've written aloud each week and then have it open to the critique of the others.
I had hoped it would be something from which I could learn but I believe it will something more that I will have to self-teach if I want to really get something out of it. I want to continue it because I need the kick in the butt to really do this. I've been resisting writing for 30 years. Maybe it will be that this is the time that I'll make something happen because I've paid for this experience so I don't want to waste that and I have to present something each week.

So this weekend the priorities will be finishing up the April issue, prepping for the interview, figuring out what to write for the upcoming class, and as mentioned yesterday, reading a High Plains Bookfest book. And napping. A bit tired from the week. :)


I would have been at LCC in Santa Fe this week/weekend if things had gone differently. I'm glad I'm not. Steve is still having a hard time about Tug. He needs me here. I may suggest we go to a movie this evening. We'll see.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: