Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's ok, there's always books...


While I'm waiting for the CS Harris book to show up from Amazon, I'm currently reading a library that came off hold, FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT by Darynda Jones. This is 1st of a debut series featuring Charley Davidson, PI and "Grim Reaper" in New Mexico. Here is a description:



Charley Davidson's police-officer father and uncle began consulting her for help in solving murders when she was five years old. Charley has a special gift --she sees and talks to the victims. Her job is to point the recently departed to the light, but those who have been murdered want her to make sure their killers are caught. Charley's latest clients-from-beyondare three personable lawyers, all murdered by the same person at nearly the same time.

It was published February 2011 and has 320 pages. It is fluffy and paranormal and that's what I'm in the mood for while I wait for the main meal.


I'm going in to work this morning for a few hours of overtime. Steve has to keep working on the 4000 pound door they're putting in at the Metra. When I get home I'll walk Tug, maybe take a nap, and then get started on the April issue of Premeditated.


Several months ago I had contacted those who are in charge of the upcoming Left Coast Crime conference in Santa Fe in March about having free issues of this issue in the gift bags. They said sure. In the past month I've sending emails and Facebook messages to find out how many and where to send them. No answer. Finally yesterday I heard from them: thank you but no thank you. Something about they're only including mags who have given money to the convention. "Supporting" Ok. How is providing free copies of a 44-page newsletter that I would be paying for myself not supporting the convention? Fine. I was suspecting something was up because of the silence for so long. And it is a mixed blessing. Yes, that means no one sees my newsletter therefore no new subscribers but I would also be hard pressed to afford to make the printed copies. So we go on in obscurity.


Gotta go get ready.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: