Sunday, August 7, 2011

NOT zombies


The boys let me sleep until almost 8. I decided we'd just do the run in the field (and jumping in and out of ditches) and then pick up breakfast at Hardee's. I haven't done that for a while. Mostly, I was using the breakfast as a motivator for Steve to go mow the lawn. Hasn't happened yet but I'm still hopeful.

Working on the September issue and getting the new iPod set up. The boys are napping next to my chair so I'm going to do as much as possible before they decide it's time for everyone to romp around again. I still have to do clothes laundry and vacuum downstairs.


While at Border yesterday I picked up four magazines, two archeology and two history. I confess, I've always loved those subjects and in fact while in college I really toyed with the idea of being a biblical or ancient world archeologist. The mags were 50% off, I think, and of course, not new but new enough (July). I picked up a Batman graphic novel for Steve that I think he hasn't read yet. The mysteries were only 25% off so I didn't bother but the political books were 40%. I got the new David Mamet, THE SECRET KNOWLEDGE. He, of course, is a famous playwright associated for decades with liberals but recently had a conversion, so to speak. Within in the first few pages he says this:
We cannot live without trade. A society can neither advance nor improve without excess of disposable income. This excess can only be amassed through the production of goods and services necessary or attractive to the mass. A financial system which allows this leads to inequality; one that does not leads to mass starvation.
I should go back and fill in some blanks in my collection. I ran away from the section because a woman was trying to push a book on me that she was enthusiastic about and saying... never mind what she was saying it was just liberal conspiracy theory mumbo jumbo about having too many military bases throughout the world and what it all means. I have opinions but goodlord I don't push it on people browsing in a bookstore. I also picked up a nonfiction book I've wanted for a long time, Jared Diamond's GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL: THE FATES OF HUMAN SOCIETIES. Yes, I know I'm a nerd AND a geek: I love Star Trek and all that and I love knowing how society works.

I'm munching on grapes and taking a quick break from the newsletter. Gotta get back to it.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: