Friday, January 10, 2014

I didn't want you to feel alone I got one too

Good Attention vs. Bad Attention

Change of reading plan. On Kindle, CHARLIE M by Brian Freemantle. This is 1st of 16 in series featuring Charlie Muffin, an experienced, rumpled, working-class British agent. Here is a description:
Charlie Muffin is an anachronism. He came into the intelligence service in the early 1950s, when the government, desperate for foot soldiers in the impending Cold War, dipped into the middle class for the first time. Despite a lack of upper-class bearing, Charlie survived twenty-five years on the espionage battle’s front line: Berlin. But times have changed: The boys from Oxford and Cambridge are running the shop again, and they want to get rid of the middle-class spy who’s a thorn in their side. They have decided that it’s time for Charlie to be sacrificed. But Charlie Muffin didn’t survive two decades in Berlin by being a pushover. He intends to go on protecting the realm, and won’t let anyone from his own organization get in his way.
It was published 1977 and has 207 pages. This is a digital library loan. I'm not usually into the cold war spy vs spy thing but the series was praised on 4MA and I saw that my library had a few digitally so I decided to try it for free. Then, it kind of grabbed me when I read the first few pages. I think the immediate attraction is the identification with him, the attitude that we the readers are with Muffin who is savvier and scruffier -- like we would be -- than those he's up against like his co-workers, superiors, oh yeah and the enemy. I also didn't realize that this book had been written so long ago until just now looking up the info. Hmm. I'll get back to the Todd book asap because I love that series but it's kinda nice to add new things to the mix. 

The beef bourguignon didn't go over very well with Steve last night. He didn't like the wine in it or something. He ate it but I think he made it clear he doesn't want in the regular rotation. Tonight, I'll probably do something safe like Tuna Helper or pick up a pizza. 

Tonight on TV is Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta and maybe The First 48.

TGIF.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster
 

No comments: