Monday, January 6, 2014

Yes, I'm going out dressed this way



Reading something very fluffy right now, a digital loan from the library. MR DARCY FOREVER by Victoria Connelly. Here is a description:
Sisters Sarah and Mia Castle haven't spoken for three years but they're about to meet again – at the Jane Austen Festival in Bath. But what was it that drove them apart and can the magic of Jane Austen help bring them back together again?

It was published in 2012 and has 336 pages. I needed a palate cleanser after the past three serious books. Ohmygoodness, in looking up that info I find that this author has written four others. It's a series: "Austen's Addicts". Hoo-boy.  

I don't think we would believe the number of Jane Austen pastiches out there. Hundreds. Jane Austen herself only wrote six books. Amazing. Wonderful books, absolutely, but the industry made from one person's six books two hundred years later is amazing. My favorites of hers, for the record, are PERSUASION and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Books and movies.

Tomorrow I will have a couple new books in hand. On Kindle, the new Tradd Street book by Karen White and Samuel Thomas's second, THE HARLOT'S TALE. On it's way from the UK is the new Susanna Gregory, MURDER ON HIGH HOLBORN, a Thomas Chaloner series. It doesn't release in the US until April. It will probably arrive next week. That's it for me for book purchases in January.

It feels like I'm fighting off some kind of illness. I'm in pre-illness, proto-illness stage. Feeling the first of the ucky-ness and tired. It hasn't blown up yet and I'm taking Emergen-C to hold it off. I'll probably go to bed early-ish; there's nothing really on TV for me.

Our new library has opened today. I don't think I'll go there for a bit, let the surge die down first. Besides, plenty to read here, just coming in, not counting what's already here. :) 

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster


No comments: