Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Liss, new forum found, Wynn & Finch, new Penman

I made headway last night into the David Liss, THE WHISKEY REBELS. Okay, two chapters before I caved in to sleepiness. This book is told by two protagonists in alternating chapters each in first person POV. A male in 1794 and a female a few years earlier. The female is interesting in that she is one of the priveledged - not raised in wealth but she had indulgent parents who educated her and fed her passion for reading. She is intelligent and precocious which is probably heading into some kind of hubris and downfall. The male protagonist is down on his luck years after being named a traitor in the war -- we'll probably learn more about that as the story progresses -- and has learned that the woman he loved but lost needs his help finding her husband. He will do anything for his love. I picture the sets of the miniseries John Adams for this.

As is well known, my first love in reading is crime fiction. The subgenre I favor first is historical mysteries -- I don't think that is a secret. :) So I'll be mentioning websites and blogs from time to time focusing on those and others that I find interesting.

I've come across this forum of historical novels in general:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/index.php

The topics of discussion break into such subsections as historical mystery, historical romance, etc. You have to register in order to post but that's not such a big deal. Not a lot of activity yet in the histmyst section but that may change soon. I'm planning on jumping in on the conversation.

Hmmm, reading today's digest of Yahoo group Crimethrutime, the author Patricia Wynn has come up as a good author. I'm not familiar ... ohhh yeah but the title of the first book is familiar, THE BIRTH OF THE BLUE SATAN, about Gideon St. Mars, a viscount who becomes the highwayman Blue Satan, and his friend Mrs. Kean, in early 18th century England. I don't know. I don' remember being interested when this first came out but it's three books into the series, maybe it's gotten better.

Another one I need to check because it's mentioned so frequently now is THE SEPTEMBER SOCIETY by Charles Finch. There are two in this series now featuring Charles Lenox, a gentleman sleuth, in 1860s London, England. Actually that book is the second, the first is A BEAUTIFUL BLUE DEATH.

The new Sharon Kay Penman should have been released yesterday but the hold I have on it at the library hasn't changed status. I hate being delayed. Of course, I don't really need it right this minute but you know what I mean. This is fifth in the series featuring Justin de Quincy, the bastard son of a bishop in 12th century England who is the Queen's Man (Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine).

I ordered the new Michael Connelly that is due out Tuesday and the next in the series by Susanna Gregory from Amazon. I can't get the Gregory locally and I know I can get the Connelly at 40% off. Again, I'm not in any rush really to get it because of so much to read otherwise but these are ones that I want to have so I'm splurging a little. It's been a rough week and will continue to be a long week for the next three days so I'm pampering myself with a gift. So there.

If all goes well, I'll have a couple hours of reading time tonight after 8:00. Must. make. good. use. of. this. And not to get distracted by other things.

Happy reading,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: