Thursday, October 23, 2008

Visiting Denver

I'm writing from Denver. The flight was good until landing. Denver always has turbulence and always gets me. I was fighting getting ill so much that my face was breaking out in sweat. I was probably a little pale too. But I stare at the seat ahead of me, breathe deeply, and tell myself it will be over soon (though never soon enough). And then they turned off the air early. But that is landing in Denver every time.

I met up with Gary Smith, the head of the MNM dept., pretty easily. He drives a yellow VW bug and has Obama stickers on the back. Luckily, I'm a good talker so we were able to have discussions during the long drive to the hotel. I'm staying at a Hampton Inn and is very nice. Gary and his wife Barbara then picked me up at 5 and we had dinner at a great Mexican restaurant. I can't remember the name but it was something like Hacienda. The place smelled wonderful and the food was good; I had a chimichanga. I was back at the hotel by 6:30. The front desk had still-warm chocolate chip cookies -- that's a sign of a good place.

My day will still tomorrow with Gary picking me up at 7:30 and it will be go go go all day meeting people and discussing the class I'm going to teach as a week-long summer intensive next summer. I think my plane leaves at 6 tomorrow night. I get into Billings at 7:15.

I'm a bit tired with a full belly from dinner and dramamine probably still in my system.

So I'm catching up on emails and news and websites. I've got Foxnews and now Survivor on tv.

I didn't want to bring a hardback along on the trip so I started ALL THE PRETTY GIRLS by JT Ellison. This is first of a two book series thus far. A serial killer has visited Nashville; Taylor the homicide leiutenant and her boyfriend the FBI profiler are on the case.

I hope tomorrow goes well but quickly. It will be good to be home and have a weekend.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: