Tuesday, October 7, 2008

THE WHISKEY REBELS/ Flashback to 2004

Focusing more on reading and movies than anything else from here on.

I started THE WHISKEY REBELS by David Liss last night. Before getting too tired for the night (and it hit early unfortunately) I read the first chapter and maybe a page. Here's the first two paragraphs:

Chapter 1
Ethan Saunders
i
It was rainy and cold outside, miserable weather, and though I had not left my boardinghouse determined to die, things were now different. After consuming far more than my share of that frontier delicacy Monongahela rye, a calm resolution had come over me. A very angry man named Nathan Dorland was looking for me, asking for me at every inn, chophouse, and tavern in the city and making no secret of his intention to murder me. Perhaps he would find me tonight and, if not, tomorrow or the next day. Not any later than that. It was inevitable only because I was determined not to fight against the tide of popular opinion—which is to say, that I ought to be killed. It was my decision to submit, and I have long believed in keeping true to a plan once it has been cast in earnest.


It is a principle I cultivated during the war—indeed, one I learned from observing General Washington himself. This was in the early days of the Revolution, when His Excellency still believed he might defeat the British in pitched battle, Continental style, with our ill-disciplined and badly equipped militias set against the might of British regulars. It was the decisive military victory he wanted; indeed, in those early days it was the only sort he believed worth having. He would invite the officers to dine with him, and we would drink claret and eat roast chicken and sip our turtle soup and he would tell us how we were going to drive the Redcoats back at Brooklyn, and the unfortunate affair would be over before winter.


I've enjoyed this author in the past, especially 2001's Edgar winner for best first novel A CONSPIRACY OF PAPER featuring Benjamin Weaver, a Jewish ex-pugilist hired by gentry to pursue debtors and thieves, in 18th Century London, England. Why do I like Liss? Not only does he typically write historical mysteries, he takes on complex subjects like the South Sea bubble and makes it learnable and interesting. This new novel, THE WHISKEY REBELS, is set in America a bit after the Revolution about the actual 1794 Whiskey Rebellion. I may have had a fleeting encounter with this bit of history in school but definitely it has not stuck.

Liss's writing, I think because of his subject matter, is a little denser therefore takes longer to read. When I picked this book up at the library -- this will be strange -- the book itself was HEAVY. And it isn't because this book has a huge number of pages (519 pages). Okay, that's more than the average but I've read books with close to 1000 pages and they weren't heavy like this one is. Perhaps they used a thicker paper for the pages although that wouldn't be cost effective, would it.

I like this time period in American history. For some reason, American history I find rather boring -- except for the Revolution and the Founding Fathers. I'm more attracted to European history up until Edwardian time period. Perhaps because kings and queens are more interesting to read about but probably not so interesting to live through.

Here's an interesting tidbit -- October 2004, these were the books I read four years ago:

  • The Bishop's Tale - Margaret Frazer (Historical Mystery)
  • Crewel Yule - Monica Ferris (Cozy Mystery)
  • The Queene's Ransom - Fiona Buckley (Historical Mystery)
  • The Tidal Poole - Karen Harper (Historical Mystery)
  • Face Down Among the Winchester Geese - Kathy Lynn Emerson(Historical Mystery)
  • The Boy's Tale - Margaret Frazer (Historical Mystery)
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (Mystery)
  • A Murderer's Tale - Margaret Frazer (Historical Mystery)
  • Slip Cue - Joyce Krieg (Mystery)
  • Death at the Door - K.C. Greenlief (Police Procedural )
  • Mansions of the Dead - Sarah Stewart Taylor (Mystery)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman - Carola Dunn (Historical Mystery)
  • A Gentleman's Game - Greg Rucka (Espionage Thriller)
  • Burnt Orange Sunrise - David Handler (Procedural/Mystery)
  • Body Double - Tess Gerritsen (Medical Thriller)

I look at this list and think first Wow! I read a lot that month! I also see that I was into my historical mystery love. I also see some authors that haven't had anything out lately like the Sara Stewart Taylor and Jeff Lindsay that I miss reading and wish they would write again; Greg Rucka hasn't written a book in the Town & Country series lately and those were good; a couple authors that haven't written but I remember their last book being a letdown so I'm not feeling to bad about that; and some authors that I need to get back to eventually like Carola Dunn, Harper, Buckley and Emerson.

It's interesting to look back on what one's read. I have a reading book that has most of what I've read in the oughts. It helps to look it over to check if author's are still writing or if they have something forthcoming. I look over my lists and mostly smile at the memory of good books. Occasionally I look at a book listed and and think I wish I hadn't wasted my time, but only occasionally thank goodness. Mostly I don't waste my time on books that aren't clicking with my mood at the time. Life's too short and there are too many good books to read.

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: